The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Bison Motorsports
Bison Motorsports
Burly
Figure Machine

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

BUMP, Anyone know if the knurl width is going to be an issue?
EOI I think I might be able to pick up some stockers from a local indy but I'll let you know. Were you able to get the left stocker off in one pice...most of the time they just cut that one off.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
daveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enough

the knurl width doesnt matter at all,they tighten down just fine,you have plenty for the riser to catch,the knurl part just sticks out about a 1/2 inch past each side of your riser,that how mine are,they work perfect,just bolt them on and ride
Old 14th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
BUMP, Anyone know if the knurl width is going to be an issue?
EOI I think I might be able to pick up some stockers from a local indy but I'll let you know. Were you able to get the left stocker off in one pice...most of the time they just cut that one off.
Yes, the left side has a "lip" around the one side that the controls clamped onto, no glue. A shot of compressed air and it came right off.
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm a little confused. The 2004 1200C bars part number 55840-04A show they have a 4.14" Knurl Width wheras my stock 2000 Custom (drag) bars part number 56185-98A have a 3.14" Knurl Width. Is the rubbermount custom riser an inch wider than the solid mount custom riser? Will the bars off the 04 work on mine and clamp tight or am I going to be inside the knurl area and they will be unsafe?
I can measure mine tonight if ya want. Both the riser width and knurled part of the bars.
Old 14th June 2012
Super Moderator

Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Well I broke down and bought the new bars from my dealer. Paid $55 so not too bad I guess plus he had them in stock and to me it is worth it to pay him as incentive to keep more crap in stock At the indy I got a few pieces to finally finish a home made air cleaner project I started a few years back and then a set of stock take off grips in case I can't get my nice ones off the drag bars (I glued them on). Thank you Lux for your offer and again a thank you to Diesel. Both of you are examples of what makes this family so great. I've give parts away in the past and your generosity reminded me it is probably time to get through my stash and play Santa again.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th June 2012

LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Shu! EdeOfInsanity, they're yours if ya want 'em.

PM me with your shipping address if you do.

My stock '04 Custom riser is 5 1/2" wide at the bar clamps.

Here's some pics of the bars.

The bar knurled patterns are 5 1/4" apart at the outside dimensions. The knurls themselves are each 1 1/8" wide and the middle space is 3".

Old 15th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxBlue View Post
Good for you Shu! EdgeOfInsanity, they're yours if ya want 'em.

PM me with your shipping address if you do.
Appreciated! I'll send a PM in a minute here.

About the knurling, I noticed the drag bars I have now, the "universal" drag bars J&P sells, the knurling sections are towards the center of the bars compared to the stock ones like in Lux's pics. I think as long as you have some of the knurling in the clamping section of your riser, you are OK. I know some bars out there, like the one's made by Santee, don't have any knurling at all, and people still run them without any issues.
Old 15th June 2012
Super Moderator

Well my typical luck kicked in tonight. My brake line is too short. I guess I will have to find a longer brake line. I think the clutch cable will work but I will definately have to reroute my throttle cables or they will not reach either (mikuni). So back to the dealer I will go. I did get them bolted on and I think they felt perfect so I am excited to get them on. I do like the look of the drag bars more but my back will appreciate these new ones better. I did finally get an old air cleaner project done thought. I will post pictures of that shortly.

EDIT: Here is the new air cleaner

Last edited by Shu; 15th June 2012 at 16:28..
Old 15th June 2012
Super Moderator

Anyone know the stock length brake lines on a 2004-2006 1200C or a 1996 to 1998 1200C? Or anyone done this bar swap and know what length brake hose I need?
Old 15th June 2012

Quote:
Anyone know the stock length brake lines on a 2004-2006 1200C or a 1996 to 1998 1200C? Or anyone done this bar swap and know what length brake hose I need?
I think stock front brake line on my '04 was 38"....not positive though.
Know Thy Hog