The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace.com
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
whispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura about
Default Im a Big Sucker with Questions

Sup folks

Im just back from a 250 miles trip.

Yesterday I had my buddy do my rejet and breather.

I went with the Ness "Billett Sucker" Stage 2. Thats a wide SOB!
I also went with the Dynojet Kit. Ill be honest hes a mech and he insisted its the right choice. Im not sure what I got for a C-NOTE beside 10 bucks worth of jets! I did get pretty stickers though!

OK lets see here...I get sidetracked easily with tha ADD and all...

Oh yeah

The main jet is the 175 as instructed. Im at 3 turns out VS the 3/4 Harley set it at!

I was hoping for some off the line grunt but what I have is about the same cept I lost the lean lag I had before the rejet. What I did gain was a hella stronger mid range and top end. I have found that the limiter is easily found and hits at 98mph in 4th!

The big sucker looks pretty cool cause I see more motor and now I know what a CV carb looks like! The Ham Can covered half the motor. Makes cool noises when I throttle it.

Here muh questions...

How can I get more balls in the low end?

Why am I getting below 40 MPG on the highway? Can I fix this without losing performance? (I ran real hard on and off on the last tank and got about 36MPG. Im gunna cruise 2night and do a comparo.)

Finally the wierd one...

Why is it the bike doesnt want to crank after I fill it up? Ive filles up 3 times so far with the new setup and each and everytime the bike doesnt wanna fire. If I roll the throttle it kinda helps but almost seems to flood the bike.

Let me know of great ones of Sporty U.

BTW

I stopped in to the HD shop and asked where I can get my Sportster shirt @ and the fugger thought I was kidding! I needs me an XL shirt! Somebody got one for sale? Size: Fat

Adios
Old 15th October 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

About the only way you'll get more low end grunt without the 1200 kit or big bucks spent on cams,head work and a better performing carb like a Mik 42 is by lowering the gearing via the primary sprocket sizes.
That would be a trade off at highway speeds though.
Start ya up a piggy bank and save for that 1200 kit.
Old 15th October 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispanic
I stopped in to the HD shop and asked where I can get my Sportster shirt @ and the fugger thought I was kidding! I needs me an XL shirt! Somebody got one for sale? Size: Fat
I saw one once a the HD dealer in New Bern NC, but they only had it in small.

I bought a nice Sportster shirt from HrdlyDangrs that he made for the XL Forum NJ ride last spring. I didn't go to NJ, but it was a great shirt and says Sportster in big letters across the back.

Gazza
Old 16th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

whispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
I saw one once a the HD dealer in New Bern NC, but they only had it in small.

I bought a nice Sportster shirt from HrdlyDangrs that he made for the XL Forum NJ ride last spring. I didn't go to NJ, but it was a great shirt and says Sportster in big letters across the back.

Gazza
I guess Ill have to "settle" for one of the forum shirts!

Hehe

Adios
Old 16th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K
About the only way you'll get more low end grunt without the 1200 kit or big bucks spent on cams,head work and a better performing carb like a Mik 42 is by lowering the gearing via the primary sprocket sizes.
That would be a trade off at highway speeds though.
Start ya up a piggy bank and save for that 1200 kit.

I see

I wanna start doin longer trip out of town so I dont wanna loose my gearing. If I was bar hoppin I would do it. Il get a 1200 kit one of these days...Im in no rush.

Adios
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th October 2005
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whisp, but imo less than 40 mpg on the highway sucks and something isn't right. Chuck is going to tell you the dynojet kit sucks, and maybe in his experiences it does, but I have one in my bike and it runs.....you heard me say it before but I'll say it again "like a bull with its balls on fire" and the way its set up it is not running overly rich.
With so many jets to choose from, and so many notches on the needle, the dj ket should be able to be dialed in precisely so that you only have to go 2 - 2 1/2 turns out on the mix.
I've got my needle on the 3rd clip, have the dj 170 main jet, and as a small twist I have a 45 slow jet installed as well. I"m about 2 1/4 turns out on the mix. I can ride all day on the highway and get 50 mpg. The dealer test rode it when I had it in to get chrome lowers installed and the kid said it runs awesome so I guess I installed the dj kit right.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 16th October 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

HA HA HA....I knew SOMEONE was gonna call me on this one...may as well be Xena this time...

Honestly, the dynojet kit is fine....nothing WRONG with it per se....Why someone would spend 100 bucks when they can spend 10 (or less) is beyond me, but hey...its not MY money...

IMHE, you're not gonna see any balls-to-the-wall low end from a stage 1, ALTHOUGH, you SHOULD be able to notice a difference....

I WILL say that LACK of any noticeable goose down low WAS one of my complaints....that's why I went to stock...now I have what I expected...

I'm doing 50 MPG right now...consistently...

As I've mentioned before, the dynojet kits actually run rich by design...

I'd be pretty damned unhappy with your gas mileage...

Since your buddy insisted, I'd take it up with him, if it were me....

The problem with those kits, as I see it, is that they are TOO adjustable.....they take some dickin with'em to get'em just right if you're not puttin the bike on a dyno to tune....

3 turns out is kinda dicey, I'd say...

What size pilot are you running?

I'd experiment with backing down on the pilot size, for starters....that circuit is continuously working no matter HOW much throttle you're using...so, in terms of MPG, it is kind of critical...

Personally, I would also recommend considering going down to a 170 main, but NOT until you get the pilot circuit straightened out...

Look at your plugs....betcha a dollar you're basically running pig-rich, and wasting fuel..

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Last edited by cantolina; 16th October 2005 at 01:19..
Old 16th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena
I don't know whisp, but imo less than 40 mpg on the highway sucks and something isn't right. Chuck is going to tell you the dynojet kit sucks, and maybe in his experiences it does, but I have one in my bike and it runs.....you heard me say it before but I'll say it again "like a bull with its balls on fire" and the way its set up it is not running overly rich.
With so many jets to choose from, and so many notches on the needle, the dj ket should be able to be dialed in precisely so that you only have to go 2 - 2 1/2 turns out on the mix.
I've got my needle on the 3rd clip, have the dj 170 main jet, and as a small twist I have a 45 slow jet installed as well. I"m about 2 1/4 turns out on the mix. I can ride all day on the highway and get 50 mpg. The dealer test rode it when I had it in to get chrome lowers installed and the kid said it runs awesome so I guess I installed the dj kit right.
Thanks for the info... Im gunna tweak it a bit till I get what I want. I will say this though...in the mid/high end it RUNS LIKE A BULL WITH ITS BALLS ON FIRE! Haha. Passing is easy and the surge of go juice on hard accel is awesome. If only I didnt suck petrol like Peterbuilt!

I'll work on it.

Adios
Old 16th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina
IMHE, you're not gonna see any balls-to-the-wall low end from a stage 1, ALTHOUGH, you SHOULD be able to notice a difference....

I WILL say that LACK of any noticeable goose down low WAS one of my complaints....that's why I went to stock...now I have what I expected...

I'm doing 50 MPG right now...consistently...

As I've mentioned before, the dynojet kits actually run rich by design...

I'd be pretty damned unhappy with your gas mileage...

Since your buddy insisted, I'd take it up with him, if it were me....

The problem with those kits, as I see it, is that they are TOO adjustable.....they take some dickin with'em to get'em just right if you're not puttin the bike on a dyno to tune....

3 turns out is kinda dicey, I'd say...

What size pilot are you running?

I'd experiment with backing down on the pilot size, for starters....that circuit is continuously working no matter HOW much throttle you're using...so, in terms of MPG, it is kind of critical...

Personally, I would also recommend considering going down to a 170 main, but NOT until you get the pilot circuit straightened out...

Look at your plugs....betcha a dollar you're basically running pig-rich, and wasting fuel..
I agree the price is bunk. I read your deal about the Kit before but I like the idea of tweakability. But again the price is bunk.

Pilot is a stocker. He said I shouldnt need to change it. Im guessing I should lean the pilot a bit?

He told me we would need to tweak a bit before its where I want it. Checked the plugs and the were slightly rich. Not bad though.

Low rpm is better overall but the real kicker is the surge of the roll on. Uphills is much much much better and high speed cruising is alot easier and the motor sounds happier above 75. One thing I noticed today is the ability to roll on from 85 to 90 in less than a couple of seconds with a slight twist of the throttle.

Im gunna play with it a bit till I get it right.

Adios
Old 16th October 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispanic
I agree the price is bunk. I read your deal about the Kit before but I like the idea of tweakability. But again the price is bunk.

Pilot is a stocker. He said I shouldnt need to change it. Im guessing I should lean the pilot a bit?

He told me we would need to tweak a bit before its where I want it. Checked the plugs and the were slightly rich. Not bad though.

Low rpm is better overall but the real kicker is the surge of the roll on. Uphills is much much much better and high speed cruising is alot easier and the motor sounds happier above 75. One thing I noticed today is the ability to roll on from 85 to 90 in less than a couple of seconds with a slight twist of the throttle.

Im gunna play with it a bit till I get it right.

Adios
That's curious....

Sumptin don' seem right...

What exhaust do you have?

Once you open up the airbox, that alone GENERALLY necessitates a RICHER pilot! I'm ASSUMING you went from stock to the Ness deal....

Are you still running a stock exhaust?!

How, exactly, did you come to 3 turns out?

I'm thinking that may not be right...I doubt you need a leaner pilot, now that I'm thinking about it....but it may need to be turned in..

Again, I don't know how you arrived at 3 turns, so its hard for me to tell....
Know Thy Hog