The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
NHRS Performance
Lickscycles
Burly
DK Customs

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
trikerjay has disabled reputation
Default 1988 xl with belt drive conversion

i have a 1988 sportster with a belt drive on it and i just replaced the rear wheel and need to know a few things.
1. how much slack should the belt have?
2.from what point on the belt do i use the harly tool to check the tension?(my exhaust bracket seems to be in the way)
3.should the belt ride on the right side of the rear pully? (not too sure if i got the alignment quite right. i just ran the adjusters in exactly the same amounts)

i have the factory manual for my bike but it makes no mention of a belt because it came with a chain. thanks for any help.
later jay
Old 16th October 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

I would check with a Harley service department.

If it is the same as my 2003 with a belt, the Factory manual says to.
Us the Harley pull scale to set the deflection with 10 pounds of force to have a deflection of 1/4 inch measures at the midpoint between the drive sprocket and the wheel sprocket.
I Fishing scale can work in place of the Harley tool.
Basically, you hook it around the bottom side of the belt, between the drive and wheel sprockets, and lift up until you read 10 pounds, A yardstick placed on the bottom of the sprockets can let you see if you have 1/4 inch of movement.
This is a used belt spect, 1/8 if you use a new belt.
Old 16th October 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Alasportster is on a distinguished roadAlasportster is on a distinguished road

I believe JeffyTune is right about checking with a HD tech, or a reliable source that knows what's what.

The deflection is different depending on the model you have. Customs and Lows and stds get one setting, but because of the longer shocks the R's get another.

I'd at least compare the settings in the FM to my bike in light of your shock length. Longer shocks generally mean a little more deflection than the same setup with shorter shocks.
Dave '05 XL 1200C; '07 Gold Wing 1800; "07 Royal Enfield Bullett Electra X, with Cozy "Rocket" sidecar "The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity is almost always dressed in work clothes."
Old 16th October 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Alasportster is on a distinguished roadAlasportster is on a distinguished road
Default By the way

3.should the belt ride on the right side of the rear pully? (not too sure if i got the alignment quite right. i just ran the adjusters in exactly the same amounts)

Yes, the belt will run away from the center of the rear sproket. All of them I've seen do that, anyway.