The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos Post all the cool photos and videos of your Sportster here...

Members Birthdays
hillclimber (68), burtondl2 (50), Cet (48), hagar71 (47), ShaneWolfe (46), grizdiesel (41), Confused89 (33), svwannabe
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1967 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: XLCH
mjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enough
Default My 67 XLCH quick walk around

https://youtu.be/0xwaPJjMqjo

She's all original, but I couldn't get her to run, so I followed the manual setting points on the magneto, getting a pair of new H-D 3-4 plugs and properly gapping them and going through a minor adjustments I could find. Then I found the Tillotson carburetor was not right, accelerator pump, not working and leaking pretty bad. I found an identical HD-1B on eBay in very good condition, I figured I'd use for parts until I could find a rebuild kit. Turns out the accelerator pump parts were like new (lucky). Still haven't perfected the proper kick routine, but I'm getting closer. I have not spoken to or seen a video where anyone starts these iron heads the same way!

This XLCH was purchased out of the now defunct Great Southwestern Harley Davidson in 1967 buy a B-52 airmen stationed at Carswell AFB. He kept it for several years before selling her to a civilian who worked at the base. He rode her a few years before putting in storage where she sat for 43 years before being purchased by the 3rd owner. He restored her back to the condition you see. He sold it to the 4th owner in the Chicago area, he had her 1 year before he sold the bike to me. I had her shipped down to my home South Florida.
Old 8th December 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud of

Nice bike. Wow, really nice.
Old 8th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1967 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: XLCH
mjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enoughmjdart will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the compliment, I had my hands full figuring out this iron head out. Never owned a bike with really old school manual controls. I think that's a big part of owning one of these. She rides really good and I'm used to the right side shift. The magneto is pretty cool, just don't try kicking with it advanced, she gave me a good warning without hurting me, won't forget that lesson. I had ran out of gas tuning the carb and she stuttered, I had no idea that fuel was low, so she promptly shut down and there I was rolling down the road. I opened gas cap and saw she was dry. Now at this time my right leg was worn out learning to kick her. Being on the side of the road I quickly valved in the reserve tank put the choke half way in and gave her a kick with my left leg. She kicked back rendering the left leg not fit for further kicking. I realized I had left the advance full so I retarded it and gave a good desperation kick with the right leg, she fired right up. After that things have started to go my way, starting and riding her.
Old 8th December 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud ofSprtstr1200s has much to be proud of

Having owned a 69 and 65 XLCH, both would start first kick (warm) Full choke, two shots of gas and three kicks wide open throttle. kill switch on (cold). Then one "Kick like you mean it" never fails. Seriously, you have to bring motor up to compression stroke before jumping on the peddle. Really nice bike, she will be good to you.
Old 8th December 2017
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: suzuki drz400sm
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
GeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud ofGeoK has much to be proud of

Beautiful bike. Congratulations. Enjoy her.