The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
Don's Cyclewear

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Madura GV700
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
thornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished road
Default Frisco Tank lift Problem

Hey guys thanks for reading. I just got my Licks tank lift in. I went to install and noticed my tank hits the backbone in the rear when lifting. Does anyone know what I can do so I can lift my tank now?

Its a 2000 XLH1200

Do I need to lift the rear now? If so does anyone know any kits? Can I just fab up my own thing? Has anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

How about a pic so we know what your talking about?

You shouldn't even have to remove the rear of the tank unless you really wanted to. It should just rotate upward when you loosen the bolt. Then install the kit on the front and tighten everything down.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes

Last edited by jharback; 13th July 2012 at 14:39..
Old 13th July 2012
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

what he said^^^^...

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Old 13th July 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

How high did you raise it?
Old 13th July 2012
Biker

thornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished roadthornbri33 is on a distinguished road

I know how it supossed to fit. But the rear of the tank hits the backbone where that hump is. I read on licks site some prior to 2003 u have this problem and I'm one of them. How do u post pics here?
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th July 2012
Biker

Its the 2 1/2 licks kit.
Old 13th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbri33 View Post
I know how it supossed to fit. But the rear of the tank hits the backbone where that hump is. I read on licks site some prior to 2003 u have this problem and I'm one of them. How do u post pics here?
Easiest way is to open a Photbucket or similar on line site (they're free). Upload your pic's to that site and then cut the ".img" code from that site and paste it into your post here.
Old 13th July 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

An image speaks volumes.
Without visual confirmation, I'd say you might have to fabricate an offset bracket for the rear of the tank that would raise in a bit. The pivot point is not likely to allow the clearance you need.
If you went to a 2" lift, it might be enough.
Old 13th July 2012
Biker

Old 13th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWheel View Post
... I'd say you might have to fabricate an offset bracket for the rear of the tank that would raise in a bit. The pivot point is not likely to allow the clearance you need.
If you went to a 2" lift, it might be enough.
+1. The tank lift brackets work on the rubbermounts, because the stock rear tank mount is offest to the rear of the tank - when you lift the front, the whole tank is raised up. On solid mounts, the rear mount is about 3/4 of the way back and underneath the tank, so when you raise the front, the tank will pivot about the rear mount, and the back of the tank will drop. Doesn't give you a great deal of room to play with.

Edit: I just had a look on Licks' site, where they note this:

Quote:
Fitment : We have had isolated reports that on some 2003 and older XL models, the rear of the tank may also need to be raised slightly to accommodate the Licks front tank lift. On some models, the back of the tank may hit the backbone when trying to raise the front to the full extent to mount tank lift. In general we have experienced that the Licks Tank Lift fits 1995 and up XL's.
I'd say you're always going to get that problem on frame-mount Sporties.
Know Thy Hog