The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Don's Cyclewear
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Blue02tj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spokes and hub type

I am looking to order new spokes for my back wheel. I was looking at the Buchanan website but not sure if I'm looking at the right part number. What's getting me is I'm not certain if my rim is considered a shallow drop center.

KHD511SS. Is the part number I was looking at they are the regular stainless steel spokes 5-8ga

http://www.buchananspokes.net/produc...y_davidson.asp
Old 21st July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Call on 'Angel' at Buchanan's, He has dealt with any combo that you could imagine, I just bought my Spokes from him, send him the Pictures once you connect
Old 22nd July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Like Monte said..... Just call Buchanan and speak with an employee. They are wizards at this stuff and will fix you up with what you need.
Have the number stamped on the rim on hand when you call.
pg
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
FasTnNefariouS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue02tj View Post
I am looking to order new spokes for my back wheel. I was looking at the Buchanan website but not sure if I'm looking at the right part number. What's getting me is I'm not certain if my rim is considered a shallow drop center.

KHD511SS. Is the part number I was looking at they are the regular stainless steel spokes 5-8ga

http://www.buchananspokes.net/produc...y_davidson.asp
Looks like the 18" rear drum type Akront off of my 74 sporty. I remember ordering spokes from Buchanans and besides the size, type, year, make and model, she asked if it was drop center and I said yes. Gave me the part numbers and placed my order. They'll hook you up with the right ones for sure.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Thank you for the help. I will be calling Buchanan early next week so I can finish this wheel up.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th July 2012
Biker

I came across information that has me wondering if his wheel is even safe to run. When I googled the part number stamped on the inside 2.5 c 18 43008-70. I pulled This site up http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=1013.0 it's basically saying its a cm rim meaning the bead seat is smaller. I put allot of miles on this bike in the past with no issues was I just lucky? Should I avoid putting the time and money into polishing and re-lacing this rim?
Old 26th July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue02tj View Post
I came across information that has me wondering if his wheel is even safe to run. When I googled the part number stamped on the inside 2.5 c 18 43008-70. I pulled This site up http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=1013.0 it's basically saying its a cm rim meaning the bead seat is smaller. I put allot of miles on this bike in the past with no issues was I just lucky? Should I avoid putting the time and money into polishing and re-lacing this rim?
The rim is perfectly good for use with any tire you want to use. The statement you are referring to is nothing but bunk.
pg