The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Bison Motorsports
Biltwell
Licks Holiday

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200x 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
dafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the rough

Following up...and copy/pasting my post from 'the other forum' lol:

Getting there. Figured out how to do this without tapping the frame.

Made the first bracket, but with such thick metal I had to make it very small, so I nixed it.

So now I've used thinner metal, but have made two brackets, ie that fit together.

I will JB weld them so it's nice and strong. Still shaping etc. but here's the un-designed bracket:

Approximate look on the bike:

And I found a neat place for my mirror to help clean up the bars, since I've relocated my front signals down low:

I'm using 2 motor mounts for the front of the tank lift, ordered from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Genuine...f31420&vxp=mtr

I'll use all black hardware up front to try and make it "invisible".

Once I've finished the above bracket, I'll start on the coil/key.

Probably same idea, work with metal that is thin enough for my tools to shape,
double it and JB weld the two brackets together...

I'd prefer thicker metal (what I'm using is 2mm-and-a-bit thick according to my calipers,
so when doubled+JB Welded together, I'll get about 1/2cm in thickness or just under...plenty sturdy I hope.
Old 13th August 2012
Harley Engineer

dafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the rough

Finished, overall I say it's 90%...best I could do with my tools/experience:

Old 13th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
black_ice_02 has disabled reputation

right on! good way to turn this thing around. good improvising and the brass bolts really seal up the look
Old 14th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Thanks man. Really gave me the bug to start doing these sorts of things more often, and get some training. How to weld etc.

Unfortunately at my location (I rent) the best I can do is MAP/oxygen and that's not really big enough to do anything major, though (so they say, I'm hoping to make brackets and braze/weld a sissy bar with it...wish me luck). My landlord...or rather his insurance company...would probably have a cow if I brought home O/A tanks lol. And those 120V TIG/MIG welders, so it seems, are not up to task.
Old 14th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

You need to get some rubber on those rear mounting bolts or the JB weld is not going to last long.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Thanks...how thick do you suggest? I know where to buy rubber washers if that will work?
Old 15th August 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
mr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to behold

I had problems with my a/c cover rattling after I cut away the back; I dug a couple of rubber washers out of my spare nuts & bolts bin. Most likely they were for toilet tank bolts. Check the plumbing section of your local hardware store or big orange box. For smaller washers, maybe faucet washers.

-m