The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Ironworks Magazine
Burly
883 Sportster

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
rontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished road
Default Strange noise coming from primary

The bike makes this squealing/rubbing noise only when the bike is moving, and the noise slows down when the bike does. I just replaced my clutch adjusting screw assembly bearing about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible for this bearing to fail after only 500 miles or so or could it be the clutch hub bearing? Has anyone had a clutch hub bearing go bad? If so, what were the symptoms? Other than that the bike runs fine, shifts good, etc.
Old 27th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
The bike makes this squealing/rubbing noise only when the bike is moving, and the noise slows down when the bike does. I just replaced my clutch adjusting screw assembly bearing about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible for this bearing to fail after only 500 miles or so or could it be the clutch hub bearing? Has anyone had a clutch hub bearing go bad? If so, what were the symptoms? Other than that the bike runs fine, shifts good, etc.
Primary chain too tight?
Old 27th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 CHOP PROJECT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 CHOP PROJECT #2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
threat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to all

Check your drive belt adjustment. Too tight?
Old 27th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

You sure it not coming from your brake rotors? Probably not if it is squealing.
Old 28th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

rontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished roadrontech is on a distinguished road

Primary chain is within specs. I checked it when I replaced the throwout bearing. I don't think it's that anyway because the primary chain moves with the engine RPM's. This noise slows down when the bike does. It's not the brakes, they are fine. I checked the final drive belt a few weeks ago, it was within specs. I'll check it again. The noise seems to be coming from the primary, I'm leaning towards the clutch hub bearing. Don't know until I can get it apart. Don't have a clutch spring compressor tool, no one around here seems to have one. I do have access to a complete CNC machine shop, I could easily make one, if I knew what it was that I'm making. I need dimensions. I'll check the final drive belt again, maybe the compensator sprocket. I hope to have it fixed this weekend. I have been relying on the bike for the commute every day since my truck got wrecked 2 months ago, so I need the bike to stay operational until I can get the truck bodywork repaired. Since I have to ride the bike all the time, it's a real PIA when I need to do any work on it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

threat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to all

Only when the bike is moving and changes with engine rpms. Hmm. I'm still gonna say check belt tension like I mentioned earlier, but also check for anything making contact with a tire under a fender. I've seen where the rear wiring harness under the rear fender came loose and was hanging down making contact with the tread of the tire as the wheel rotated. Also have seen rear fender hardware make just enough contact with rear tire sidewall to make noise like that. Just a couple of thoughts. Wheel bearings?
Old 28th July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

check your front sprocket nut too. they can come loose.
progressive suspension
Old 28th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
redi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud of

I don't have time to give you the links. check out my profile's threads posted about the same thing. we found the answer. Flame retardant also has a thread to fix your prob.
Old 31st July 2012
Flat Track Racer

I went for a ride, leaned waaay over so I could try to pinpoint the noise. It isn't coming from the primary. It seems to be coming from the rear wheel. I get bike home, jack it up, turn wheel by hand. Must be wheel bearings, but there is no noticeable play in the bearings but they seem to make a "groaning" noise about every 1/2 revolution of wheel. Wheel bearings? Checked belt tension, it's good. Rear wiring harness isn't touching tire. So I let bike down off of jack, proceed to ride down the street to pinpoint the noise again, this time the noise disappeared. Been riding the bike for 2 1/2 days without the noise, now it started up again, but not as loud. Looks like wheel bearings are on the list...
Old 31st July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Told ya

Haha, but really, post a follow up after replacing 'em. Let us know is that took care of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Know Thy Hog