The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Hal Smith (63), XRCR Davis (63), ndmp40 (59), wkwood2000 (58), Predator (45), Steve-B (41), Grind1203 (29)
Energy One Clutches
NHRS Performance
DK Customs
Foxcreek Leather

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

I converted my 77 CH to 1979 rear disc brake with all OEM sprocket cover, internal shield, M/C and linkage. I'm running an 'o' ring chain with a 22 tooth and have no side clearance problems. When it was OEM 1977 and a 24 tooth the non 'o' ring chain 'customized' the internal shield!!!
Old 3rd August 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61 View Post
Same thing. That tight spot is caused by the fact the sprockets are not PERFECTLY round.
Or, in the case of an old worn chain, there are places that are more stretched than others (this really shows up when the chain needs oil badly).

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 3rd August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 56
sturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of light

I'm 90% sure the battery acid is a non issue with the chain. It was washed immediately and coated with a heavy does of chain lube and an industrial WD-40 type spray. No other signs of corrosion. I think the battery acid just led me to notice the chain a little closer. All the cracks are on the tire side, which is wear the chain was rubbing the battery tray at the bottom of the hard tail.
As far as the O-ring chain, I have had some stretching but never any clearance problems. Both my sprockets are stock with no sprocket cover on the front. I'll look again for any rub spots, but none that I know of.

So, I'll pony up for new sprockets and go ahead and do the rear wheelconversion. As far as chains, I've always heard o-ring chains were better, if I solve any clearance issues, is there any reasons for one chain over another?

74 Custom Rigid XL,
"stuff"
Some dirty chrome, a little duct tape and lots of rust
One headlight, one tail light, one brake, and lot's of balls!
Old 3rd August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Various
CaptCaveman is an unknown quantity at this point

O-ring chains are lower maintenence, only an occassional shot with lube mostly to prevent rusting.
Old 3rd August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

If you're gonna pop for an o-ring chain, check out x-ring chains. All the same benefits, fewer drawbacks. I thnk DID is one manufacturer.