The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
DK Customs
Ironworks Magazine
Figure Machine
Energy One Clutches

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: concours 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
slavcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 883c stuck in fifth after a fall

I let my brother ride my bike with about 3k miles on it. He was a bit underexperienced on the sportster, didn't make it into a corner and dropped the bike on it's left side. The belt was cut (probably cut by a stone). After I got the bike back to my parents house in SC I just took a few pictures, put a new belt on it, but couldn't change any gears. So my question is what do I need to get into the gear case? Any special tools Anything that I should be aware of I don't have a manual yet and will try to find one before I get into it. If anyone has a link with instructions and preferably pictures that would be helpful. Here are some pictures of the damage.

Thanks for your help. Chester.
Old 30th January 2008
Biker

I cant post any pictures just yet
Old 30th January 2008
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C Black & Silver
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Mr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a link to one of the pictures of the damage
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1...c01141sxi3.jpg

Making a F-550 Pick Up Thread
We are not near but we are close !
Amanda Overmyer Rocks !!
Dear Eliot
Eye Xray Here
Old 30th January 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

At least your model still has a trap door to get to the tranny. After '03 you have to pull the whole motor and split it in half to even get to the tranny. That's one thing that pissed me off to no end for not knowing they changed that before i bought my '05 model. That was one of the cool things that seperataded h-d from the Japanese bikes. I guess another example of planned obsoletion, like when the cost of repairs out weigh what its worth.
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 30th January 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Look at the Signature
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
ScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really niceScreamingEag1e is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavcha View Post
I let my brother ride my bike with about 3k miles on it. He was a bit underexperienced on the sportster, didn't make it into a corner and dropped the bike on it's left side. The belt was cut (probably cut by a stone). After I got the bike back to my parents house in SC I just took a few pictures, put a new belt on it, but couldn't change any gears. So my question is what do I need to get into the gear case? Any special tools Anything that I should be aware of I don't have a manual yet and will try to find one before I get into it. If anyone has a link with instructions and preferably pictures that would be helpful. Here are some pictures of the damage.

I can't see the pic here at work, but I had the same issue (1st gear) with no visible damage (except for some small scrapes on the shift lever). The resolution was to replace the "Gear Selector Shaft". The force of impact jammed it and damaged the end causing it to not be able to engage the gears. So, you might want to check this first.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th January 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: SXL883C
Rascal has disabled reputation
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavcha View Post

You stated your bike was dropped on the LEFT side and that the belt was cut, most likely by a stone. I have no idea other than what others have said, but a I have a 2002 XL883C and my belt is on the RIGHT side of the bike.
Old 30th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 Real School Chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR600
Other Motorcycle Year: 89
Sportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the rough

Check first to see if the shifter is bent or otherwise hanging up on something. Try loosening it to make sure it's not dragging on the cases.

KongBastard
Old 30th January 2008
Biker

Check first to see if the shifter is bent or otherwise hanging up on something.
Yes shifter was bent, ill try to post pics later.
You stated your bike was dropped on the LEFT side and that the belt was cut, most likely by a stone. I have no idea other than what others have said, but a I have a 2002 XL883C and my belt is on the RIGHT side of the bike.
sendpm.gif
Yes he dropped on left, and piked-up a stone while sliding?
I didn't see it happen, i will post more pics later tonight.
Thank you all for your replys
Old 30th January 2008
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

slavcha,

Start simple. These trans are tough and I doubt anything serious has occured from it being dropped. You need to realize that the transmission will not shift from 5th to 4th to 3rd etc unless the bike is rolled around a little bit to line everything up between shifts. First things first though before you try to force it into any gears. Remove the derby cover and inspect that when you pull the clutch lever that the cable is working and opening the clutch pack. Make sure everything in there is in order and there are no broken peices (which I highly doubt other than maybe the clutch cable). Then get the shift lever straight enough so it'll move freely up and down through the gears. If these look good, put it on a jack so that the back wheel is off the ground and while turning the back wheel down shift the transmission. If it is still stuck in gear try upshifting to make sure it is not stuck between gears. If nothing gets it freed up, maybe fire it up and try it with the engine running. If it still is stuck, then you have something deeper in the transmission out of line and you will need to get in there. If that is the case, wait for the service manual.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 30th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 06 883/1200 Sportster XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
cootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to all

VERY SIMPLE solution..... You take your brother's head, and bang it hard, against the shift lever, until it comes out of fifth gear, or until his brains come out his ear, which ever one happens first.