The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
Get Lowered
NHRS Performance
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
OldSchoolBully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drag pipes, effects?

I have done a search and didn't quite come across what I was looking for. Let me put this in context by saying I have zero experience with the HDs and am speaking as someone who has has only messed with Japanese bikes. When I bought my ride the PO threw in a set of slash cut drag pipes. When running these regularly, does the sportster require any sort of rejet or adjustment? The oversensitive Kawasaki carbs needed rejetted for air pods so I was wondering if it was an issue on the Harley. Thank you in advance....
Old 13th September 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
BobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of light

Drag pipes only work with apehangers.
Kidding, I feel funny this morning.
Well it all depends on if the bike was properly jetted before you changed the pipes. If there was a major change in the amount of restriction in the exhaust then I would say yes you may need a rejet but if only a minor change in exhaust then probably get away with tuning the air jet screw. It all depends on what the previous owner did to it. Adjusting the air screw will tell you if you need a larger or smaller pilot jet.

Check out the Stickies for carb tuning. Many Jap bikes use the same but slightly different Kehein carbsonly the Jap bikes have a decent air tuning screw and nylon sleeves on the slide.

Last edited by BobWLR; 13th September 2012 at 16:24.. Reason: Stikies.
Old 13th September 2012
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

S&S has a great video on utube about the effects of drag pipes.
Old 13th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 S/ sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki M109R/ totaled
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by decman View Post
S&S has a great video on utube about the effects of drag pipes.
Good find, the video was well done... thanks.
Old 13th September 2012
Biker

Excellent video. So, no good way to run drag pipes without that loss. They would have been an occasional addition anyway, I don't hate my neighbours enough to ditch the stock pipes entirely. Thanks for all the info.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th September 2012
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

You can modify the stock pipes to get pretty good performance and not too loud. If it's a 2001, drill a 3/4" hole in the baffle plate that you see when you look into the end of the muffler.
Some knock it out entirely but I prefer the 3/4" hole. It mimics the SE Torque mufflers that hey used to sell back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBully View Post
Excellent video. So, no good way to run drag pipes without that loss. They would have been an occasional addition anyway, I don't hate my neighbours enough to ditch the stock pipes entirely. Thanks for all the info.
Old 13th September 2012
Serial Fettler

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph T120 + 3 BSA's
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
stalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a drag

Just picked up some drag pipes, now I've watched the video. I used to run straight through TT type pipes on my Triumph Bonnie, I had to go up from 205 to 220 mains to get it to run right but definate performance increase. (and noise) I'll let you know how I get on, if it dosen't run good they can go on ebay.
Old 13th September 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

Drag pipes kill your mid range power. A good 2 into 1 system, free flowing air cleaner and a proper tune will give you the most power.

My 72:

My 07:

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 13th September 2012
Biker

Your 72 is akin to what I'll one day own. Gotta get a feel for the Harley before diving into the ride everyone warned me off.

As I said, my plan was sporadic use of the drag pipes, once in a while to annoy the local Harley haters, of which their are many. Purely cosmetic, purely for noise. I've seen a few two into ones, it's what I run on my KZ. Best start looking. I have a new K&N air filter to go on, looking for a new less chromey air cleaner (coming from a scruffy/rat background I am adverse to chrome overdose). I'm not doing anything major until I ride the hell out of it.
Old 19th September 2012
Serial Fettler

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph T120 + 3 BSA's
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
stalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond reputestalkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default drag pipes

Well after a bit of fiddling got the bike to run pretty well, maybe lose out a bit in the mid range but not much and the sound on the overun is beautiful. I do live in the middle of nowhere not too many people to upset, I even had one old boy walking his dog tell me to wind it open.
Know Thy Hog