The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
the1337aaron is on a distinguished roadthe1337aaron is on a distinguished roadthe1337aaron is on a distinguished road
Default kicker question

i just installed a vtwin kicker kit on my bike and was wondering if i installed it right. when i go to kick it, the arm stays down and i have to bring it back up with my foot, is this right or is it supposed to spring back up in position? thanks alot
Old 18th September 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

its supposed to spring back up. check and see if you have the spring tight enough, but with my first kicker install, i had the same problem and it was due to not enough clearance on the kick shaft bushings. make sure that clearance is good or youll probably crack your cover. should be around .015 clearance from shaft to bushings
Old 18th September 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura about

Can you post a few pictures? It will help us help you
Old 18th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,had a.similar problem.starter clutch spacer was to short,causing primary chain to rub on starter crank gear nut. checking this would require removing the primary,again,
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 18th September 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

there's another possibility you could check with out removing the primary. starter shaft thrust plate could have come,dislodged. this is the small wing shaped plate on the kicker shaft on the back side of the primary case. if the shaft get's pushed back at all,while installing the starter crank gear,this s.o.b. will fall of of the pin that locate's it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th September 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

The kick start shaft may be jamming in the bushing. Loosen or remove all the bolts for the sprocket cover and see if the problem goes away. On my 1978 i had to install three shims to get the cover aligned so that the kicker would not jam up in the bushing.
Old 18th September 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

I agree with Mick, first check the cover. You really got to watch its position as you install and maybe shim. Ther is a sweet spot. You just gotta find it, especially repop parts made for several years of bikes and to Taiwanese specs, although better than China.
Old 18th September 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
the1337aaron is on a distinguished roadthe1337aaron is on a distinguished roadthe1337aaron is on a distinguished road

do you have to preload the chrome spring a whole lot? cuz i preloaded it once and that didnt do the trick, i was thinking i didnt preload it enough.
Old 18th September 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1337aaron View Post
do you have to preload the chrome spring a whole lot? cuz i preloaded it once and that didnt do the trick, i was thinking i didnt preload it enough.
i preload mine as little as possible and it comes back with no issue.

check bushing clearances and some of the other stuff mentioned
Old 18th September 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1337aaron View Post
What about, 2/3 to 3/4 full turn wind up? Even less should recoil pretty easy. Try this, push it down to where it hangs up and then loosen the bottom bolt a little and see if it returns. If not, try again with top bolt. Also grease up the the bushing. I think that has been said.
Know Thy Hog