The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
Superbrace
Fix My Hog

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Davidson Leggero
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
1957xler is on a distinguished road1957xler is on a distinguished road
Default To chrome, or not to chrome engine

Thinking about chroming my rocker, boxes, and bottom end covers on my 1957 sportster. Any pro or con's input invited. I've had my wheel hubs chromed, and my chrome headlight panel, and chrome shocks really light the frame up. Wanting to do the same with the motor this winter.
I've cleaned the aluminum covers, and boxes with numerous products, and they look clean for a couple of weeks, and then back to dullsville. Any suggestions for chroming, or a product to prolong those laborous, cleaning jobs if i stay original. Thanks guys.
Old 20th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

My friend owns a chrome shop (I can get anything done for free),

and I go to great lengths to eliminate chrome from my stuff....
Old 20th September 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
My friend owns a chrome shop (I can get anything done for free),

will you be my friend?

s
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Old 20th September 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura about

That's a tough one. If your motor is really a 57, it would be a bit of shame puttin' clothes on her. I understand the urge and annoyance of your spit shining going away after a week or so though.

Damn ... 57 ... is it feasible to get some repro stuff and chrome that? Then you can keep the originals nice and sealed up should you want to return her to stock.

I'm guilty though, my 71 has a ton of wrinkle coat black on it ... but that comes off pretty easy with some solvent. Maybe chrome does too, I'm not very knowledgable on the subject.
Old 20th September 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FX Shovelhead
Pan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to all

well, I guess I would be old school on this one 57XLR and leave her all original....

but Im one that has always loved chrome and black...it just gives it that extra Harley's love.

Like they say...

"Chrome wont get ya home....
But it can help ya get laid*..
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th September 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
shooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to all

I like polished aluminum,IT seems that when I have a new chrome part I only like it when its new,after that I just see more and more scratches,at least aluminum can be renewed,but I have a thing with polishing metal it's my military upbringing!
Old 20th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan55 View Post
well, I guess I would be old school on this one 57XLR and leave her all original....

but Im one that has always loved chrome and black...it just gives it that extra Harley's love.

Like they say...

"Chrome wont get ya home....
But it can help ya get laid*..

I agree if the parts are original PLEASE DON'T CHROME THEM. Buy some chrome repop parts and have at it. Original covers are near impossible to find in good or any condition and are expensive. You've got a first year bike!
Old 20th September 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I have used Sharkhide over polished aluminum with good results. I'm about to the 6 month mark and it still looks good.

http://www.eastwood.com/sharkhide-al...FURxQgod3TwALA

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 20th September 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 73
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200s
big andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to all

I have chrome rocker boxers and timming cover as well as primary cover and that is how they were when i got the bike and had no problems so far but if i had the choice i would polish the covers and maybe clear coat them or after every run spray a little wd 40 or similiar on em to keep oxidation at bay .But if you do go the chrome way make sure they plug up the bolt holes they can be a bugger to try and retap adter the chrome process
Old 20th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

I'm with most of the others. I'm a real chrome whore but, on a '57 I'd leave it as is.

I don't understand why the polishing is looking like shit so soon. Is it left outside a lot? I use to polish mine and I had to do a thorough polishing every spring but, just some minor buffing once a month other than that. You can clear coat them after polishing. But, to do that you'd have to remove the covers. Works much better for polishing that way also.

Here's the instructions (the best I've come across) I use to use to get a chrome like look by polishing: http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_polish.htm

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog