The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can a late model front end be fitted to a 77 Sporty??

What sort of difficulties would i encounter trying to fit a 39mm showa front end on a 77 Sporty that came with a 35mm showa front end?. . .All i have been able to find out from the person that has them is its off a 2002 "lowrider" and it has a 19" wheel. . .would it be a softail of sorts perhaps?. .. I'm waiting on getting a heap of measurements off the guy, but in the meantime one of you may have an idea??. . .would the original 77 guard fit ie. same width and bolt spacing?. . .as mine is airbrushed, is there some sort of conversion neck cup set that would be required to mount the triple tree?. .or should i not go there and rebuild my stock front end?

Thanks in advance
Russell
Old 2nd February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

Lowrider is a Dyna, and it would have the 1" neck, so you would need to swap out your neck cups, but other than that, it should be a fairly easy swap.
Old 2nd February 2008
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: This & That
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
hoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to allhoosier xlc is a name known to all

Yeah it will fit, watch the fork stops might be in a different location.
Old 4th February 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 98 xl built to the hilt
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
archemitis is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same front end on my 67. i put the new cups for the 1 inch neck in, and it worked fine. the stops werent going to work on my frame so i grinded them down, and got a universal fork stop. i also grinded the fork lock tab off of the lower triple tree, it got in the way, and wouldnt work with the ironhead lock.
i put a drum wheel/hub on mine, which was a little bigger problem with the 5/8" axle compared to the 3/4 inch forks...
but if your using the whole front end, wheel and brakes and all, it will be easy. i think my fork stop was from accutronix
Old 4th February 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

The 2002 front end would be a good idea. Much better brakes. I've been told the fender will fit.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th February 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: flstfse
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
carmine73 is on a distinguished roadcarmine73 is on a distinguished road

man oh man would i love front brakes!!!!!!! perhaps back that actually worked would be fun too!
Old 5th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of light

The shmuck that i was getting it off went and sold it on me . . .i'm probably a while away from getting mine moving again though, so i will definitly keep an eye out for anothre setup, thanks for all your advise!!
Old 5th February 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 98 xl built to the hilt
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
archemitis is an unknown quantity at this point

no big deal theyre dirt cheap, i've seen them go on ebay for 150 complete.