The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
Biltwell
Lickscycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
oldmanhachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1977 Xlch Paint Color ????

Hello guys I have just gotten a 1977 xlch and it only has 3914 original miles it has been it a garage for the past 20yrs. My problem is I can not find any info on Paint figures for 1977. My question is how rare is a yellow 1977 Ironhead I can not find one anywhere only mine I was told they only made 8 in this color the logos on the tank are as follows AMF is in white Harley Davidson is a redish color with black outlines. What would be the value of such a low milage bike it has great spark and compression but I have not started it yet just pulled plugs and cked compression and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the Cylinders I got the bike for $750.00 only thing not 100% original is the seat a King and Queen with a sissy bar and a coffin tailight looks to be period correct mods though.
Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks Norman
Old 1st November 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1960
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1959
Magneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to behold

I heard never heard anything about Harley keeping track of that kind of information
Old 1st November 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH/H
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Fridge has disabled reputation

Don't see any yellows for that year.
Perhaps the dealer ordered the bike with primer and painted it a specialty color for the customer.
Hope this will help you with a virtually unmolested Iron Sportster:

http://colorwrite.freehostingcloud.c...ors/index.html
Old 1st November 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 80 ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
nickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of lightnickstoyz is a glorious beacon of light

Please post a pic!! Can't wait to see it!!
Old 1st November 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

You can contact HD Customer Care, give them the VIN and they can give you two or three pieces of info about the bike; not much but it they will verify that the VIN is good and tell you the original color that it had shipped from the factory. I do not know if they have the paint code but they do have the color ...

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:

Harley-Davidson Customer Care
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call (414) 343-4056. Our normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

Sorry, we're unable to receive e-mail at this time.
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st November 2012
Banned

Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge View Post
Don't see any yellows for that year.
Perhaps the dealer ordered the bike with primer and painted it a specialty color for the customer.
Hope this will help you with a virtually unmolested Iron Sportster:

http://colorwrite.freehostingcloud.c...ors/index.html
They had special winter colors that year. My best friend of 40 years is the original owner of a WHITE FXE.
Old 1st November 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH/H
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Fridge has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61 View Post
They had special winter colors that year. My best friend of 40 years is the original owner of a WHITE FXE.
You might be right Mike. I found this one and it looks to be OEM paint but I'm not really sure.
http://www.carfrom.us/_COLLISION_197...TSTER_36622299
Old 2nd November 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Please post pics. Would be real interested to see a yellow 77.

I have had my 77 since new. It was black. The only other 77 Ironhead color I have ever seen is red. So yes if it is factory paint, which it almost surely is with the AMF sticker - nobody but nobody wanted that AMF on there back in the day, although now it has a certain cool factor.
Unless of course it was done by some dealer as a special one off.

How much is it worth? Probably about the same as any other original paint 77 with low miles, which depends really on finding the right buyer. But you will get your $750 back out of it!
Old 2nd November 2012
Biker

oldmanhachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pics of yellow 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
Please post pics. Would be real interested to see a yellow 77.

I have had my 77 since new. It was black. The only other 77 Ironhead color I have ever seen is red. So yes if it is factory paint, which it almost surely is with the AMF sticker - nobody but nobody wanted that AMF on there back in the day, although now it has a certain cool factor.
Unless of course it was done by some dealer as a special one off.

How much is it worth? Probably about the same as any other original paint 77 with low miles, which depends really on finding the right buyer. But you will get your $750 back out of it!
I will post some pics soon as I can have been having some trouble thanks for all the response.

Norman
Old 2nd November 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

Harley-Davidson Customer Care
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
1-800-258-2464
(414) 343-4056

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog