The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather
NHRS Performance

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883, for sale cheap!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Ural Deco Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
SamC is on a distinguished roadSamC is on a distinguished roadSamC is on a distinguished road

I just stumbled onto this thread (slow reader) and I notice something nobody's touched on; relaxing the stresses in the castings, forgings, etc. Freshly-made pieces have locked-in stresses that will eventually normalize. If they're heated too quickly and too much, the stresses will deform the piece. Mototune totally ignores this. Fresh parts will turn into pretzels if they're treated like he says.

Years ago, Gordon Jennings noted that when he was messing with piston shapes on two-strokes by welding on the domes, a used piston would stand it OK but a new one would generally deform into uselessness. The difference was that the used pieces weren't internally stressed, so they didn't deform when heated by the welding.

I'm not a professional engine builder, I'm in the once-in-a-while category. I used to be a machinist and I'm familiar with normalizing parts. Seeing something like the "beat it hard and it'll be fast" school of break-in makes me glad he's not building my engine.
Old 19th September 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

so tell me what is heat cycle your motor ?????
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Albie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enough

Very interesting information here.

My Dad is getting ready to get a 07 wide glide or softtail custom. What should I tell him to do for the break-in? He lives about 15 miles from the dealer that he would buy from. Not a huge distance, but enough to bring the motor to full operating tempature. Should we go down first thing in the morning with the intention of spending a good part of the day going through the first steps in the S&S proceedure that Stevo recommends?

It would look kinda funny sitting there after the purchase(not to mention a patience tester) starting it for a few minutes and shutting it down to cool completly. If it will produce the most power and least oil comsuption I will push him to try it, as I think it is worth it.

Question is: Do you guys with the best experience think it is worth it? or do you have any other ideas?
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

That's how I do it when I rebuild a motor...

I only ran it for a few seconds... then a minute or so ... then rode around the block and bedded the rings in when I was at the dealership...

The S&S break in is the ideal way.... and babying the motor is the opposite end of the spectrum...

Basicly run it medium/hard for short busts as heat is the enemy... then let those bursts get longer

ya don't want things to expand and distort that much that ya break the oil film....

and ya gotta take the high points off left from machining..
Old 21st September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Albie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Stevo!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
blazer95 is on a distinguished roadblazer95 is on a distinguished roadblazer95 is on a distinguished road

What about an 2001 XL1200c that is spitting oil out the air breathe, bought it with 3,112 miles now has 10,000 miles ???

Last edited by blazer95; 6th December 2006 at 02:40..
Old 29th January 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL - Sold
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
sportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default oil coming from the air cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer95 View Post
What about an 2001 XL1200c that is spitting oil out the air breathe, bought it with 3,112 miles now has 10,000 miles ???
on a sporty?? no way!

unless its more than a few drops, thats normal. you can install a breather or get used to it. welcome to the oily right leg club of sportster owners!

J&P Cycles part# 4000330 $30 or if you are handy you can make your own
keep the sun in your face & the shiny side up
Old 30th January 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
blazer95 is on a distinguished roadblazer95 is on a distinguished roadblazer95 is on a distinguished road

thanks i will have to get used to then i still love my sporty
Old 30th January 2007
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Mattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of light

This is all great information for when I re-assemble my converted engine this spring.
Old 30th January 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
robert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura about

I just learned more from this thread in ten minutes than I'll learn the rest of the day! Hey, now I can go back to bed.