The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Fix My Hog
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Glock Man is on a distinguished roadGlock Man is on a distinguished road

vinoo@go:

I also have a 2012 Superlow,I weigh 210 and the stock setup was to soft,so here's what I went to.Progressive 412 shocks,12 1/2 " length,set in middle preload notch.Progressive standard fork springs and used 3" of the included spacer.I left the fork oil alone,just put the springs in.This setup raised the bike about 1" total all around and REALLY improved the ride........best $295.00 I've spent so far,hope this helps.

John[the old]
Old 28th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L/ not L anymore
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
XLMACK is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 2007 XL1200L. The front end bottoms way to easily. I did read all the stuff on the forum and I don't see a fix. The bike has had a few owners before me so, I'm not sure what has been done. The rear shocks were changed to taller shocks and is definitely over sprung.the bike in the back and the front has about five inches of potential travel when the front end is lifted. When I sat on the bike two inches disappeared , I weight 200lbs. The front end would travel another inch then bottom. There is two inches if travel or fork tube left unused. The bike was unridable. So I bought some progressive springs and installed them with fresh hd type e oil to stock capicity.The sag is now one inch but it still bottoms. The ride is definitely better but still is very punishing on rough roads.
The bike bottoms with two inches of fork tube to travel.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
Old 28th July 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
The rear shocks were changed to taller shocks and is definitely over sprung
Have you tried to lower the shock preload?

Quote:
When I sat on the bike two inches disappeared
I assume you are referring to the forks here. Either the spring is way too light, or worn out, or you need to add more preload.

Quote:
So I bought some progressive springs and installed them with fresh hd type e oil to stock capicity.The sag is now one inch but it still bottoms. The ride is definitely better but still is very punishing on rough roads.
The bike bottoms with two inches of fork tube to travel.
Either you bought the wrong springs, or have inadequate preload. I forget which weight Harley type e oil is, but you should probably stay with 10w until you get the spring problem figured out.

Quote:
the bike in the back and the front has about five inches of potential travel when the front end is lifted
Five inches travel in the shocks is unheard of for Sportsters, so that makes me question what kind of shocks you have.

5 inches of travel in the forks is about right for the full length forks, which probably also means the damper tube was changed to a Roadster / Custom tube which has smaller compression damping holes then the other low models, and that means you should stay with 10w oil to avoid over-damping on rebound.

Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" in the Suspension Sticky Index Section. Somewhere is a link to a thread by Whittlebeast which has a spring calculator. Or find one on google. Then you can measure out your springs and see what you actually have. There are enough numbers in the "7 Pages" to help you determine springs you actually need. Setting up suspension starts with getting the correct spring rates, and then understand how all the other adjustment work together.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 28th July 2013

XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
finally got progressive springs on my 883XL in front & o boy what a difference to the ride . now need to change the rear . wanted advice there is a gentleman who has brand new street bob dyna fxdb springs at a low price as he has upgraded to progressive , its .5 inch longer than my stock . should i go for it ? will the ride be any better/worse as these are for a heavier bike ?
I weigh 300 lbs in gear and stuff on the bike. the FX shocks I tried were too stiff for my weight. The shocks would compress through the initial / soft part of the travel and then just stop compressing because the final / hard spring rate was just too stiff. This got a little dangerous in curves with bumps because the tire would skip over the bumps instead of compressing and absorbing the bumps. However, there are probably several different FX shocks, and I don't know about all of them.
Old 28th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L/ not L anymore
XLMACK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips XLXR. I re read your 7 pages and low and behold I think I found the solution. I installed the correct or recommend progressive suspension springs. As you said they are designed for long travel suspension and not for low sportsters. The soft rate portion of the spring gets used up and bottoms long before it hits the higher weight.
The other issue I have is that the forks only travel 3 inches of potential of 5.
I will ride the bike to Sturgis next week and get it sorted.

Thanks again
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th July 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: superlow 883
vinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the rough
Default FXDB shocks on sportster 883L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
I weigh 300 lbs in gear and stuff on the bike. the FX shocks I tried were too stiff for my weight. The shocks would compress through the initial / soft part of the travel and then just stop compressing because the final / hard spring rate was just too stiff. This got a little dangerous in curves with bumps because the tire would skip over the bumps instead of compressing and absorbing the bumps. However, there are probably several different FX shocks, and I don't know about all of them.
Actuall what you are saying is bang on confirmed by a rider who has thi ssetup, thanks will change to progressive 13inchers & revert
Old 29th July 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

vinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the roughvinoo@go is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Man View Post
vinoo@go:

I also have a 2012 Superlow,I weigh 210 and the stock setup was to soft,so here's what I went to.Progressive 412 shocks,12 1/2 " length,set in middle preload notch.Progressive standard fork springs and used 3" of the included spacer.I left the fork oil alone,just put the springs in.This setup raised the bike about 1" total all around and REALLY improved the ride........best $295.00 I've spent so far,hope this helps.

John[the old]
thanks a lot half of this I have already done will take your advice though i might go with 13 or13.5 progressive at rear. front is exactly what you have done
Old 29th July 2013

Quote:
The other issue I have is that the forks only travel 3 inches of potential of 5.
Just jam more preload in there to get rider sag at 1/3 to 1/4 total travel and see what happens. If you still bottom out, add a bit of oil or add air forks. But you can only go so far trying to compensate for a too weak spring.
Old 29th July 2013
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
darkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to beholddarkdesign is a splendid one to behold

on a superlow, i'd go with 13" due to the shorter front forks. you don't want the frame being angled down towards the front, they get twitchy like that.
Old 29th July 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdesign View Post
on a superlow, i'd go with 13" due to the shorter front forks. you don't want the frame being angled down towards the front, they get twitchy like that.
wow that was important , cant thank this forum & riders like you enough for the valuable inputs we get in markets like India where HD is new , big bikes are rare , there is almost nil customisation, after market parts are frowned upon etc ... we have along way to go
Know Thy Hog