The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage
883 Sportster
DK Customs

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
kwaltz6 is on a distinguished roadkwaltz6 is on a distinguished road
Default Best electronic Ignition for 79?

I am planning on updating the ignition system on my 79 this winter. It currently has points, which are fine when gapped and timed correctly, but I've had 2 issues this past summer with one of the springs on the fly weights coming undone and basically looks like metal spaghetti when I pull the points plate out. So, to save any future hassle I want to update to electronic ignition. Anyone have suggestions on a good product? How difficult are they to time once installed, and what is the procedure? Anyone who's switched from points to electronic notice any significant gains?
Old 11th December 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold

The previous owner replaced the factory electronic ignition with points???

Anyhow....as for which system is "good", comparing the available systems is like starting a thread on which oil is good.....you'll get pros and cons on every one.....

I'm running a Crane "Fireball" HI4 single fire ignition, and have been very satisfied with it.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
Old 11th December 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by '79 Supercharged Fuel Inj View Post
The previous owner replaced the factory electronic ignition with points???

Anyhow....as for which system is "good", comparing the available systems is like starting a thread on which oil is good.....you'll get pros and cons on every one.....

I'm running a Crane "Fireball" HI4 single fire ignition, and have been very satisfied with it.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
I don't know if they retrofit points or not. 79 was the first year for the EI and the earlier models were still points. I've heard a lot of guys finding points in their 79. Anyway. I'm basically wanting to get ideas on the easiest to time, and any differences between dual and single fire. I know it's all subjective. I want to stay away from any cheap components also, preferably nothing made overseas.
Old 11th December 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

Ultima kit Get a VOES switch too.

I would avoid any of the points replacement systems that keep the centrifugal advance as it is a common point of failure.
Old 11th December 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Ultima kit Get a VOES switch too
Ryder, I'm using an adjustable bendix carb. Using a VOES would require a change over to a CV carb so I can use the vaccume lines, correct? Not opposed to it. I've kind of been wanting to switch to a CV anyway, but I digress. Just want to know what all kind of work/parts/supplies I should be prepared for.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th December 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Model: 2011 Self built rigid EVO
Dash47331 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 79 has points also! I don't know if the PO changed them out or what but I have been thinking about an EI system, just haven't decided.
Old 11th December 2012

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

Carb type doesn't matter for a VOES.

You can install the fitting in the manifold,
I JBWeld a piece of brass tube into the manifold if it does not have a fitting.

Mount the switch with the port down and make the hose all downhill to the manifold so liquid does not condense in the hose.
Old 11th December 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Carb type doesn't matter for a VOES.

You can install the fitting in the manifold,
I JBWeld a piece of brass tube into the manifold if it does not have a fitting.

Mount the switch with the port down and make the hose all downhill to the manifold so liquid does not condense in the hose.

Gotcha. Excuse my ignorance on this one. The VOES switch basically advances or retards the system based on rpm's (airflow through carb manifold) vs. the stock flyweights and springs?
Old 11th December 2012

It works different than flywheights more like vacuum advance
Old 11th December 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

The part number 17622 is what my 79 came with when i bought it a couple of years ago, so far so good.
http://www.legendmcs.com/midusa-cata...01_Page_82.jpg

http://www.legendmcs.com/mid-usa-har...ignitions.html
Know Thy Hog