The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches
Progressive Suspension

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1977 Ironhead
Freewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ironhead build - Sissy bar thread

Afternoon,

I hope you all had a good christmas.

I made a start on my sissy bar/fender strut by gettig hold of some bailing wire from a neighbour. I fastened one end into the vice, the other into my drill and put a few turns into it to stiffen things up a bit.

After fiddling and farting around with a 7x5 numberplate template and a nice old vintage rear light that I got from an autojumble I came up with the following as a start -

Next step is to get a heat source, a tube cutter and some bar - I thought 1/4" would be thick enough (or maybe too thick),

What do you think?

Nick
Old 31st December 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

I'll use 1/2 inche for a solid sissy, 1/4 will bent with the wind.
Old 31st December 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
hogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura about

at least 1/2 maybe even 5/8 but not a 1/4 would flex and bend way too easy.
Old 31st December 2012
Chief Know It All

Freewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of lightFreewheeler is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I wasn't intending to carry a passenger so that would make them more of a fender strut - I would have thought 1/4" would be enough for that - what do you reckon.

Nick
Old 31st December 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to behold

1/4" is going to have a lot of flex to it and vibration could kill it pretty quick, a lot would depend on the wall thickness as well, but even a heavy walled 1/4" is going to have a lot of flex in it. I would look more at the 1/2" tubing and even then I would be tempted to insert a solid rod into the center at least from the frame to the fender mount.

With your low seat frame you have a lot of unsupported fender hanging in the air, I would think the more stable you can make it the better.

You could try 1/4" tubing with a solid rod inserted all the way through it and see if the amount of flex is reduced enough to use it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st December 2012
Chief Know It All

Thanks for the advice, ill have a crack at it and let you know how I get on.

Nick
Old 1st January 2013
Chief Know It All

Hi there,

Have been busy this afternoon transferring thought into metal and came up with the following in 3/8 as that was all I had -

I am feeling pleased with my efforts. This was the second go after a steep learning curve and ballsing up the first one. I worked off the bailing wire template and simply marked where a bend was needed with my old dad's pipe cutter. I then used a Rothenberber Propane torch to heat the section until it was cherry red and hey ho. The first one had an extra bend which didn't really look needed, that was the trouble with using bailing wire - too easy to bend!

Ill take some pictures of the whole bike from the side when I get the chance to do so. I also intend to make another shorter version just to see what it will look like.

I hope these pictures are of interest.

Nick
Old 1st January 2013
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
IronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura about

Looks like you are well on your way, looking good.
Old 1st January 2013
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post
... I hope these pictures are of interest ...
Stuff you fabricate yourself is always of high interest on this forum.
Old 1st January 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to behold

I think you did a great job on it. The 3/8" stock looks a lot more substantial then the 1/4" would have, did you use solid stock or tubing?
Know Thy Hog