The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
CV Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2005
Biker

JWA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 03 Honda VTX 1800

I got to take a friend's new (to him) VTX 1800 for a ride yesterday. Cruised about 10 miles or so. Here are my observations about the bike.
It is BIG. I mean it felt like a land yacht big-time. The bike was set up with a windshield, which made for a comfortable ride overall in the chilly weather. Combined with the low center or gravity and very comfortable seat, piloting the bike seemed effortless. The VTX seems like an exceptionally well made machine. For the price (my friend paid $7200 for the bike) of this 2003 with a little over 2000 miles, you get a whole lot. The riding position is very comfortable, upright with mid-controls. Huge amount of torque and acceleration in all gears. This is a very powerful bike for sure, but I was nervous about leaning it over like my Sporty. I could see that there wasn't much clearance on either side to lay it over. It did seem very stable through the curves, though.
The drivetrain seemed very clunky. It has shaft drive, and when shifting or accel/decel, it had some drivetrain lash. I imagine you could get used to it, but it was much more than my Sportster.
Overall, I would not mind riding this beast on a long trip one bit. Very nice machine at a great price.
I would not prefer to ride it on a day to day basis over the Sportster though. The Sporty is a far more fun, more responsive and classier ride. Much more of a "seat of the pants" experience compared to the big VTX. Comparison might be an early '70s Stingray vs. an older Cadillac Fleetwood.
Front controls
Sundowner seat

[IMG]http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/thumbs/P1010001_small.JPG[/IMG]
Old 31st October 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: '97
crosscheck has disabled reputation

Thanks for that review. I've considered a VTX as more of a two-up scoot for longer trips, a lot of bike for a lot less than a comparably equipped Road King. My wife enjoys riding more that I thought she would, thus the interest. I am of the same opinion as you, I enjoy my sportster for commuting and a little ripping, but need a little more for the long haul.
Old 31st October 2005
Biker

JWA is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I would say it's more like a Fat Boy than a Road King, but the bottom line is that it's a big bike that is very capable of touring or tearing around drag racing. Not a curvy road machine at all.