The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Gear - Helmets, Clothing and what not
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Gear - Helmets, Clothing and what not This area is for discussing riding gear such as helmet, boots, clothing, etc

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (82), Chip (69), Chief4x4 (67), willyobiker (65), CBryant (64), XLCH69 (61), sage (58), VettesRule (55), jerseyjeff (55), TheExecutioner (52), SalTheWop (52), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (43), BluegrassXL (39), Superman
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do I need to Sew Patches on leather?

I have several patches I have been carrying around for ever, That need sewn onto my leather vest. I can never seem to get them done. And today I have not much to do so........

Can I just do this by hand ? It Cant be that hard right !!

What type of needle/thread do i need ??
Old 10th February 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
loki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to allloki03xlh is a name known to all

My friend had his OL sew patches on his leather vest. She needed a leather needle. I'm assuming that its a thicker, stronger needle; and some heavier thread.
Old 10th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dude sounds like a trip to the craft store or WalMart ??
Old 10th February 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Kevyn is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll need strong hands and fingers, a stout leather needle and some waxed thread.

A lot depends on the thickness of your leather vest and whether or not it has a lining. If your vest is lined and you don't mind seeing the sewing inside the vest just punch the needle through and start sewing. If you don't want to see the sewing thread inside the vest, you'll need to break the threads holding the lining near where you're going to sew the patch and then re-sew the lining using the holes already in place.

Or, you can just go the easy route and pay someone with the tools and experience to do a professional job. I've done my fair share of leather work and paying the $$ sure saves time. But, nothing beats the feeling of doing it yourself.

In most cases, having a professional seamster/seamstress do the job is worth it. Especially for some nice old patches on a favorite vest.
Old 10th February 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Kevyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Tandy leather or a craft store specializing in leather will be able to help you select the proper needles and thread plus give you some tips on how to start and finish.
Old 10th February 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
ShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the roughShadenGheist is a jewel in the rough

If you go to the crafts store, I'd recommend you also pick up some "Spray Adhesive" it helps to keep the patch where you want it while you are sewing. Just spray the backside of the patch, let it tack up and stick the patch where you want it. Let it set for a few minutes, then start sewing. Doing it this way, you won't have the sew as much, either.
Old 10th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

An old sewing machine and some 3M spray adhesive to keep them centered and your good to go.

Just hope there not 3 piece rockers sets that may get some 1%er's pantys in a wad!!

[CENTER][IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/xllent01/08%20Deals%20Gap/1024dealsgap-1-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

[/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER]
[B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3] The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need?? [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[/CENTER]
Old 10th February 2008
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond repute

Just sew them on. Leather isn't any harder to sew than heavy denim. Yea they make different needles and weights of thread but you don't need them. I've never had a problem.

Old 11th February 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sewing Kit

This is what I use and it will sew thru most anything.

http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Sewing-...cher-Sales.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 11th February 2008
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 70 View Post
This is what I use and it will sew thru most anything.

http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Sewing-...cher-Sales.htm
Although I let the dry cleaners sew on my patches...I own this very tool...and yes, not only will it sew thru most anything, its the very best gift I think I ever got....

My best friend in Arizona bought me one years ago....

I make/fix all kinds of stuff with it...most notably- custom length straps for any purpose (Bike lift, tie downs, etc.) Also fixes backpacks, tents, canvas, leather goods.... ANY survivalist knows this is a must-have item...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting