The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Biltwell
Superbrace
S&S Cycle
883 Sportster

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 04R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Snuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the rough

have a sundowner on my scooter and like it also have a sissy bar [detachable]. See mine in the gallery
Old 2nd November 2005
Biker

GWR has disabled reputation

It's a nice comfortable seat for driver and rider but the seat pan will crack at the post mount under the driver, mine did and all that I have seen have cracked, but according to the company it never has seen or heard of that before, only mine and within months of purchase, they said tough sh-t.
Old 2nd November 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWR
It's a nice comfortable seat for driver and rider but the seat pan will crack at the post mount under the driver, mine did and all that I have seen have cracked, but according to the company it never has seen or heard of that before, only mine and within months of purchase, they said tough sh-t.
Mine has not cracked.
My stock one did and was replaced under warranty.
Read this link and you should not have any problems with cracking.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...008#post201008
Old 5th November 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished road

Or you could just buy a Mustang Wide Vintage, which is made with a steel pan, and a riveted cover, like H-D SHOULD have made the Sundowner. But the Mustang is $100 more, IIRC.
Old 6th November 2005
Greasemonkey

Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
lschultz has disabled reputation

My son bought one from Zanotti and it should be in a couple weeks. I went ahead and ordered one for my bike too. I had a Mustang one piece touring seat(for sale)on my Road King Custom and like it and I have read good things about the Sundowner so we are going to try them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th November 2005
The Horse is Un-Dead

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 Custom (Stage 1)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
AZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really niceAZFlyingDiver is just really nice

I just got the Sundowner and a low rail with pad - I LOVE it (and so does my girlfriend).

'05 883C (living at 1100' above sea level near Phoenix, AZ)
S&S a/c, CS slash-cut slip-ons
45/175 jets, 2.75 turns out on the mixture screw, 1 needle shim
52.3HP, 46.2TQ

RIP Mr. Jimi and Johnny G...
Old 23rd November 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C Chopper Blue
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Dragonsoni has disabled reputation
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 16th December 2005
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
xtheunknown is on a distinguished roadxtheunknown is on a distinguished roadxtheunknown is on a distinguished roadxtheunknown is on a distinguished roadxtheunknown is on a distinguished road

So it looks like the general opinion is that the Sundowner is a comfortable, attractive seat. I just bought a 2006 XL 1200C and figured I'd want to replace the seat. I find most stock seats to be uncomortable, so I will probably just have them put on a new seat before I take it out of storage.

I had a Mustang wide touring seat on my last bike. Can anyone tell me how the Sundowner compares to the Mustang as far as comfort goes? I was very happy with my Mustang seat. I have ridden 500 miles with only short gas stops on my Mustang and been comfortable.