The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
Motor Stage
883 Sportster
Bison Motorsports

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Haggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enough
Default How to Replace Timing Cover (pic included)?

First off...is that the timing cover? I believe it is. I know that some people replace them, and i was thinking of getting a matching timing and derby cover, however after inspecting the timing cover (at least i think it is), it is installed with rivets...which leads me to believe i'm stuck with wwhat's there.

My only other thinking is that I could get a piece of metal that is the same size, and install that ontop of the current cover w/some industrial strength double sided tape. but aside from that...i'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Marc
Ramflo 400 A/C, RB Racing LSR 2-1 Chrome Turnout; Mustang Vintage Solo & Pillion Pad, Roland Sands Design Black Tracker Grips, Sik N Twisted 13" Monkey Barz, Harrison Specialties LED Blinkers, HID hi/low 6k Light, Lick's Solo Bag, RK rear shocks, custom sissy bar, custom paint by Fast Eddie in Long Island.
Old 12th February 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Mr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enough

That's just a additional cool guy plate riveted into the case man. pull that thing and there nothing there.

Or am I completely wrong?

On another note, how do you like your RB pipes?
Old 12th February 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: R1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
mtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enoughmtl-XLR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggisman14 View Post

First off...is that the timing cover? I believe it is. I know that some people replace them, and i was thinking of getting a matching timing and derby cover, however after inspecting the timing cover (at least i think it is), it is installed with rivets...which leads me to believe i'm stuck with wwhat's there.

My only other thinking is that I could get a piece of metal that is the same size, and install that ontop of the current cover w/some industrial strength double sided tape. but aside from that...i'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Marc
Drill out the rivets, the replacement covers come with screws that will replace the rivets.
Old 12th February 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl-XLR View Post
Drill out the rivets, the replacement covers come with screws that will replace the rivets.
Exactly what I was gonna say...
Old 12th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Haggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enough

Cool, thanx guys...is this indeed called a timing cover?

Mr. Hicks - LOOOOOVE the RB Pipe. I have the LSR and couldn't be happier. Has a very distinct sound (like poeple have said - headers on a big block V8). I also noticed a pretty drastic increase in seat of the pants dyno.

Marc
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th February 2008
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

There's even a video of Bert replacing his at http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules....warticle&id=32

Lovely how-tos folks have done.

The project bike:
1999 1200 XLH--Currently on indefinite hold... Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796
Old 12th February 2008
Land Speed Record

hmm....tried clicking on the video link and it wouldn't let me watch it...

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old 12th February 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cool, thanx guys...is this indeed called a timing cover?
Yes it is. There is another plate behind this one which protects the parts. Go for it.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 12th February 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (1235 Conv)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
KC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to all

The newer Sportys come with screws in the timing cover. Just drill them out and you're all set. Just make sure when you get a replacement that it has the holes at 3 and 9 and not at 12 and 6 by mistake.

[IMG]http://www.mytriplogs.com/sigs/mtl_create_us_states_map.php?rz=75&vu=uvuvvvuuuuuuvvvvvuuuuuuvuvvvvuuuuuvvvvuuuvuvvuuvuvv[/IMG]

[B]"Ruth"[/B] '05 XL883C -> 1212 -> 1235 (don't ask) - Pearl Yellow
Progressive Fork Springs, Progressive 412s w/ heavy duty springs, 883 -> 1200 NRHS conversion (at 1235 Now), Daytona Twin Tec Ignition, Hurricane AC
Old 12th February 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Points Cover

Quote:
Cool, thanx guys...is this indeed called a timing cover?Marc
It's generally known as a points cover, though there aren't any points under it these days - you'll find an ignition sensor instead.

If you drill out the rivets, you'll find the outer cover is riveted to another cover underneath, which in turn is held onto the ignition sensor plate bolts underneath by 2 countersunk screws located in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions (vertical). Once you've drilled out your rivets, be sure to remove the inner plate too, and fish out the backs of the rivets, or they'll be bouncing around inside the cover with your ignition sensor.

If you get a replacement cover with horizontal mounting holes, you can either screw or rivet it to the plate underneath. If you use rivets, only use the closed back type pop rivets (get them from your dealer) or, again, you will have problems with bits of pop rivet bouncing around your ignition sensor.

Or you could get a points cover with vertical mounting holes (intended for big twins) and screw it to the ignition sensor plate bolts, with or without the inner cover (depending on what's required to make the cover sit flush with the edges of the cone).
Know Thy Hog