The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
Dead Creek Cycles
Lowbrow Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1999 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1998 1200 Custom
nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough
Question Would just a single translucent paint work over bare metal?

What would happen if you just sprayed a single translucent (one color) paint over bare metal. Do I just need to make the paint stick? If it needs primer to stick, do they make a clear primer? Or do I just have to try it.
Thanks
Nate
Old 19th March 2013
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

The V-rods when they first came out had a bare aluminum tank with just a clear coat over it so there obviously is a way to do it.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 19th March 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
jrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura aboutjrb04013 has a spectacular aura about

I bought a 4.5g tank to put on 1200n last year and gave it a whirl. I sanded to bare metal, washed, dried, and wiped down with isopropyl alcohol right before starting the process. I was even in a dehumidified space (less than 40% humidity). It started to discolor within 3-4 weeks and by the end of the season it was starting to rust. It looked very cool, but I had it painted before serious rust happened.

There wasn't a problem with clearing it, though. I used a clear adhesion promoter (Duplicolor I think) and then clear coated with engine clear that was fuel resistant. The finish held up fine...just wasn't able to get all moisture off surface first.
Old 19th March 2013
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

you can, but will need to prep first. rub it down with a laquer thinner, to get any grease, wax, oil, and dirt off. then if you are ok with how the metal looks spray it on. your biggest concern will be coverage and moisture in the paint. depeneding on how you will spray it, will give you different/best lasting results (chances are over time it will rust). I use high end hvlp devilblis guns, with a filter and moisture trap, and in this instance would spray on a low humidity day. after washing the metal with a thinner. or etcher. like earlier, laquer thinner is what I use. Dont touch the metal with bare hands, oils in your fingers will be a problem. you are trying to get that clear to stick. What do you plan on spraying it with? raw metal and h2o dont mix, keeping the tank clean and dry is very difficult. A enviromentaly controlled spray room, is realy the only way to make it last.
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90

Last edited by chardhin; 19th March 2013 at 20:04..
Old 19th March 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough

Wanted to spray it with my Devil Bliss hvlp gun, I found some types of clear primer I could use. I also could tint the primer?
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th March 2013
"So this is what I am."

chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

tinting wouldnt be a problem. get a moisture trap for the gun if you do t have, and even a filter helps. I wouldnt go cheep on the clear ppg is imo the best auto paint, others may disagree. http://www.ppg.com/coatings/autooem/...clearcoat.aspx
Old 19th March 2013
"So this is what I am."

I have painted sportster tanks befor, my bike is fully custom painted by my hand and is as good as most shop will give you, art work maybe not but thats because I am not an artist. but I know the spine of the tank that has the mount on it will be you biggest chance of failure. the cracks and corners will be a concern for moisture.
Old 19th March 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

Well I found some clear primer in a can, can't seem to find it for a HPLV gun though. How good would a spray can do compared to a gun?
Old 19th March 2013
"So this is what I am."

A hvlp is only going to be as good as the wet sand cutting and polishing you are willing to spend time doing. If your can of clear is able to cut and polish it will work, or if you ok with the orange peal then its just fine. Plus the spray can will have low moisture out of can. air compressors pull in the moisture from the air. sure you know that. keeping you tank clean and damn dry will help. I have never done what you are proposing though.
Old 19th March 2013
"So this is what I am."

If its in a spray can how would you tint it though?
Know Thy Hog