The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

DK Customs
DK Customs
Sky Smith Insurance
Figure Machine

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2013
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
il67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to all
Default kickstand spring replacement (what i did)

figured i could help someone save money so heres what happened to me. when i first got my 2008 sportster nightster in 2009 it had 2000 miles and the kickstand sagged. i dealt with it for years before i just went to harley and got a new spring. $20 what a rip off but i used it anyway and still had sag so i called the dealer and they said i needed another kickstand part (the bushing) frustrated i said forget it and just dealt with the sag and drag again. recently while the bike was on the lift i bent the spring to the point where it was sagging too much to even lean a little bit in a turn. i headed to home depot to find something i could use. i took a chance and got the one pictured below. 2 pack for $5 and its perfect. it does touch the nut as seen in pic but i doubt that will be an issue. hope this helps.

just a quick little tip for anyone changing it. may seem obvious but it wasnt to me at first..
1. when installing the new spring heres what i did. have someone hold the bike off the kickstand as straight as possible on the exhaust side.
2. let the kick stand back up
3. take old spring off. frame side first then kickstand side. ( mine was easy because it was so loose)
4. put the new spring on the kickstand side first then stretch it to the frame side and slide from bottom to the groove while making sure the kickstand is pressed firmly against the rubber stop.
hope this is clear

Last edited by il67bp; 26th March 2013 at 04:01.. Reason: added how i installed the spring
Old 25th March 2013
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

COOL, always nice to see a local improvement.
how long are the springs ???

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 25th March 2013

il67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to all

Damn I thought it was in the pic.. I don't have the package on me right now but I'll check.. BTW I'm pretty sure that says the working load is 61 pounds
Old 25th March 2013

Not nut but bushing* it touches
Old 25th March 2013
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

NEVERMIND a quick search of homedepot shows them at 4"

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...5608/202045475
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th March 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
fox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the roughfox4 is a jewel in the rough

My kickstand sags like crazy and I drag it really bad in turns. Just picked these springs up from my local Home Depot tonight, and I'm planning to install this weekend. Thanks OP!
Old 26th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox4 View Post
My kickstand sags like crazy and I drag it really bad in turns. Just picked these springs up from my local Home Depot tonight, and I'm planning to install this weekend. Thanks OP!
Awesome it should work great! Now that I think about it does anyone know if there are any differences in springs between the different sportster models?
Old 26th March 2013
Rubber Mount Jockey

Sportster/Buell Model: Dearly Departed XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
JohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant future

Nice fix! Don't ignore those bushings. They're a rip-off I know, but once they're worn through, the slot will be the next thing to wear, and then the floppy kickstand will be a permanent condition. Here's what mine looked like when I removed them after 8 years:

Old 26th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Nice fix! Don't ignore those bushings. They're a rip-off I know, but once they're worn through, the slot will be the next thing to wear, and then the floppy kickstand will be a permanent condition. Here's what mine looked like when I removed them after 8 years:

How much are the bushings? What is a sign that they are going?if my kickstand is working very well now is that any sort of indicator?
Old 26th March 2013
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

There was a thread on bushing replacement last year you can get them at almost any industrial supply like MSC, Grainger, MacMaster Carr
for cheap.