The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Bison Motorsports
Fix My Hog
Energy One Clutches

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
vampkiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 73 sportster Lookin for a shop

I have just bought a 73 sportster and am running into bad Harley service shops and would like to find a mom and pops shop. anyone know of ones around Harrisburg PA
Old 10th June 2013
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

From the Sticky Recommended IronHead Mechanics ...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=118141

USA, PA, Arona: Ted's Cycles, 2243 Main Street, 724-446-7630
USA, PA, Ephrata: the Jebby Shack, 1174 S State St, george and bob, 717-859-5484
USA, PA, Levittown: Penn Jesey Cycles
USA, PA, Palm: Underground Biker

For more information such as who made the recommendation etc, use the Search This Thread to search for and check the message further on in this thread.
Old 10th June 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

Ya know, if you can turn a wrench the gurus on this forum can help you get that Sporty running and help ya keep it serviced and on the road. Before ya go takin' yer bike to a shop, why don't ya at least give it a shot? What's wrong with yer bike that ya wanna drag it to a shop?

Nobody is gonna care about yer old motorcycle the same way you will. There are some good shops with good mechanics, but there can also be an awful lot of frustration and expense that goes with it. Yer prolly gonna toss a lot of money at the shop that you could have used to buy quality parts and tools. On top of fixing the problem, you gain the skill and wisdom needed to fix yer bike when (not if!) it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

C'mon, let this forum do what it does best - help YOU fix yer Sporty!

P.S.- We NEED a pic of that digger ASAP!!!
Old 11th June 2013
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Other Motorcycle Model: Cb550
Other Motorcycle Year: 75
gjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
Ya know, if you can turn a wrench the gurus on this forum can help you get that Sporty running and help ya keep it serviced and on the road. Before ya go takin' yer bike to a shop, why don't ya at least give it a shot? What's wrong with yer bike that ya wanna drag it to a shop?

Nobody is gonna care about yer old motorcycle the same way you will. There are some good shops with good mechanics, but there can also be an awful lot of frustration and expense that goes with it. Yer prolly gonna toss a lot of money at the shop that you could have used to buy quality parts and tools. On top of fixing the problem, you gain the skill and wisdom needed to fix yer bike when (not if!) it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

C'mon, let this forum do what it does best - help YOU fix yer Sporty!

P.S.- We NEED a pic of that digger ASAP!!!
+ 1 on that advice!
Old 11th June 2013
Biker

Default 73 sportster

Know Thy Hog

Old 11th June 2013
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Other Motorcycle Model: Cb550
Other Motorcycle Year: 75
gjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enoughgjeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampkiller View Post
Very nice!
Old 11th June 2013
Biker

I understand about getting my hands dirty.. and I'm all up for it.. but I have some issues on this.. I'm from NV and I work in Harrisburg for 5 weeks then I get a plane ticket back home or anywhere in the lower 48.. my bike is in Harrisburg so it's either in the shop I work from or in front of the hotel I'm at.. so if I get into it and its not running it sits wherever that may be..
Old 11th June 2013

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

I unnerstan' yer predicament but that bike is sooo friggin' fine and seriously chopperized that I wouldn't let some dealer technician near it, let alone work on it! That bike deserves the kind of love that only the true owner can give.

I would drag that thing inside the hotel, use the bed for a work table, the sink for a parts washer, and keep the maid out of the room for a few days.

I hope you can find a trustworthy place that will treat yer bike like gold. I would start interviewing independent shops in yer area. You will prolly get better service for yer money at a local indy than you would at most HD dealerships. Good luck.
Old 11th June 2013

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to beholdsimeli is a splendid one to behold

But still what are the issues you need to work on?

Nice rig by the way!
Old 11th June 2013
Biker

thxs to all you who have replied!!! so maybe I should say a little more about this bike... So I got it about two weeks ago off eBay, at a really cheap price.. I liked the year and I like the look..(more of a chopper style then digger style, I would say) So I took it to the closest Harley service department to just get a tune up and the oil changed since I just brought her home.. Mind you this is my first Harley.. First bike was about nine years ago a Honda 500.. So I put it in this shop.. Its been there every since.. I went to take it out last week because they started to nic pic it to death...As I start pulling it out of there shop the key was left on and the gas was left on too.. It would not start ... I went to tell the service people what the h@@L happen.. I rode it in, why can't I ride it out.. I showed them the key was on and telling them the smell of gas is filling my nose.. so its probley flooded and not cranking.. they said since its a custom they didn't relies the key was on and the gas leavin it on they had nothing to do with it ... So it was either push it to the hotel, 4 miles away..(i'm a small guy and 4 miles is pretty far for me) So as of today its been in there 2 weeks and no ones touched it yet... I have more to come just got to head to work... yes im walking
Know Thy Hog