The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
CV Performance
Lickscycles
Lickscycles
Dead Creek Cycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of
Talking Cover me boys, I'm goin in!

First timer doing a conversion...

Here's a few pics....its down to the rockers now, so I'm just starting to get nervous....

Any pointers during disassembly at this stage? (Other than bagging and marking parts)

Does anyone know of a torque wrench that works especially well for bikes and engine reassembly?

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Last edited by cantolina; 15th January 2005 at 15:22.. Reason: Add pics
Old 15th January 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

I got your back ,need more ammo
thank god for darwin
Old 15th January 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Shark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the rough

We're there for ya, guy. Post your address and I'll send a bottle of GoJo Orange and a bottle of rum. One cleans your hands, one cleans everything else. Don't get 'em mixed up!!!
Old 15th January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need 2 torque wrenches. Inch pounds and ft lbs and MANUAL.
95 inch and more very soon.
Old 15th January 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: '92 883/1200
dwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished road

Go for it. The nervousness goes away about the time you get the second head removed. You'll find that it's much easier than you expected.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: '06 Scarabeo
willprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura about

Get plastic bags, mark and label every piece that comes off and in what position, even the up and down of the pushrods/. Go slow and be sure to get your manual dirty. Nothing worse than the sick feelin' ya get when ya can't figure out where the left over bolt shoulda gone.
Old 15th January 2005

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

I noticed you still have the gas tank on the bike. On my 04, I had to remove it to easily remove the rocker covers.

Good luck,
Ron,

BTW, Here is what mine looks like right now:

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 15th January 2005

willprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura about

Oh and one more thing. Tell the missus to keep the coffee comin' and the distractions away.
Old 15th January 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

ron , that motor is soooooo clean its scaring me
Old 15th January 2005

and stuff some clean rags in the cases after you remove the barrels. Don't wanna get no crap inside. If that bike ain't tied off, do it. The last thing you need is someone bumping it.
Know Thy Hog