The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Lickscycles
Get Lowered
DK Customs
DK Customs

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2013
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Vstar 1100 classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Maustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to all
Default Cross Country Trip

Hello everyone
.I'll be doing a cross country trip the next 2.5 weeks unfortunately not in a Motorcycle (in a Uhaul) I'm helping my in laws to move from VA to CA...
I'm planning to take Highway 40 across, stopping in interesting places
If anyone has any advice or places you thing I should definitely check out please let me know .

Thanks in advance

Maurice
Old 29th June 2013
Battleship Sailor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant future

Knoxville - stop in Karns and say hi to my relatives. Just kidding. Oak Ridge Museum of Atomic Energy AKA American Museum of Science & History. Had several relatives involved in the Manhattan Project. Also the Tail of the Dragon is right there. I wouldn't recommend a U-Haul though.

Nashville - Ryman Auditorium and Grand Ol' Opry

Memphis - Ribs at Rendezvous (highly recommend), Mud Island

Little Rock - President Clinton Library

Amarillo - Cadillac Ranch, Big Texan 72oz steak is free if you can eat it all.

Between Amarillo and Albuquerque there are some amazing ancient lava flows next to the highway

Albuquerque - Sandia Peak Tram, Petroglyph National Monument.

Petrified Forest/Painted Desert - try to time driving through there around sunset or sun rise.

Winslow - take your picture standing on a corner in Winslow. There is a mural there with a girl in a flat bed ford slowing down to take a look.

Route 66 - parallels lots of parts of 40 in this part of the country. Hundreds of things to see and do along there.

Meteor Crater - A big hole in the ground. Kinda cool though. Visual scale is all skewed. There is the wreckage of a plane in the bottom that looks like a toy until you look at it through the scope.

Flagstaff - You're only about 55 minutes away from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. If you have the time... I mean come on, it's the Grand Canyon.

Lake Havasu - too bad it's not spring break... well then again, with your in-laws it probably would not be that great.

That's all I got for big stuff. I could spend a month between Flagstaff and Knoxville though.
Old 29th June 2013
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Billyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to behold

lostNdallas nailed it...

Only thing I have to add, is the journey from just outside of Flagstaff to CA is a long...long...boring drive. Done it more times than I'd ever care to think about or even remember.

Bring extra water, etc...keep an eye on engine temps...
Old 29th June 2013
Master Mechanic

Maustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to allMaustarman is a name known to all

Thank you gentlemen
All great suggestions..
We are (I'm traveling with my step-father in-law) planning to stop in Knoxville to visit a relative...
Looking for things to do at night in Nashville & Memphis ..music, restaurants etc
Definitely will do Grand Canyon
And if I'm not to tired ill cross CA and go up north in highway 1 along the coast.

Ps:
I thought the advice to check for engine temps was great

Thank you and keep it coming
Old 29th June 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

In the Flagstaff area there is a lot to see in addition to the Grand Canyon South Rim
Sunset Crater
Montezuma's Castle
Montezuma's Well
Oak Creek Canyon down to Sedona
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th June 2013
Biker

turnup has disabled reputation

In a place called Groom Tx. you will see a HUGE cross right off of I40. It is worth the time for a rest stop to pull off and look at the statues etc beneath it if you are interested. It is all really well done and no admission charges...at least there wasn't a couple of years ago. Enjoy your trip. Part of it will be on the old "get your kicks on Rt 66"
Old 29th June 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

If you want to see "old" route 66, take exit 139 (Crookton Road) to Seligman to see Burma Shave signs and then in Seligman, continue route 66 to Kingman.
If you want to see the original route 66, look to the south, after Ash Fork, when I40 crosses Partridge Creek and you can see a tree growing in a bridge (circa ~1930). That section of road is original to where it meets up with the frontage road, south of I40, from exit 139.
Old 29th June 2013
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
If you want to see "old" route 66, take exit 139 (Crookton Road) to Seligman to see Burma Shave signs and then in Seligman, continue route 66 to Kingman.
If you want to see the original route 66, look to the south, after Ash Fork, when I40 crosses Partridge Creek and you can see a tree growing in a bridge (circa ~1930). That section of road is original to where it meets up with the frontage road, south of I40, from exit 139.
Thank you
I've been wondering what or where to see R66
This is really helpful
Old 30th June 2013
Battleship Sailor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maustarman View Post
Looking for things to do at night in Nashville & Memphis ..music, restaurants etc
Definitely will do Grand Canyon
Nashville - Music Row

Memphis - Beale Street

In both places if you can't find a place to eat and listen to good music, then you are in the wrong place. I can't emphasize enough to try Rendezvous. It's buried in a lower level down a dark back alley. You will think you are lost until you walk through the door and see all the world class BBQ being devoured.

If you have the time, I would highly recommend making the 4 hour detour around to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon because:

1) You get to drive up Route 89A which takes you through some of the most scenic desert areas around. Lots of car commercials and movies have been filmed along there. Plus Sunset Crater is on 89 North outside of Flagstaff on the way to/from 89A.

2) It's about 8k elevation there, about 1k higher than the South Rim and consequently a bit cooler. As you're driving in on 67 you will probably see snow in the shadows of the trees.

3) If you are in moderate physical condition, Bright Angel Point is worth the small hike. Again, best at sunrise/set.

If you are into horses, the American Quarter Horse Assn Headquarters, Hall Of Fame, and Museum are in Amarillo.

The Cowboy Hall Of Fame is in Oklahoma City and also houses the artwork "End Of The Trail" commemorating the Trail Of Tears for all the American Indians.

Last edited by lostNdallas; 30th June 2013 at 05:05..
Old 30th June 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

It's [North Rim} about 8k elevation there, about 1k higher than the South Rim and consequently a bit cooler. As your driving in on 67 you will probably see snow in the shadows of the trees.
[/QUOTE]

I was there June 6 and no snow. The North Rim is quite a bit out of the way, but much more relaxing than the South Rim. Jacob Lake has a decent restaurant and cabins for rent.
Know Thy Hog