The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
BIKE BUILDER
Burly
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki T500 'RingDing'
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
BrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to all
Default Ignition failure again...

I will try to keep this fairly short, and not vent my frustrations with another of my long boring rants.
My '79 had an Ultima ignition set-up on it when I got it. The ignition module fried because the Super/Wide Glide gas tank rubbed across the coil terminals. Solved the clearance issue.
Replaced the module with a used Crane Hi-4 module from a wrecked bike. All was fine for over 6 months. Then a couple weeks ago, it started to lose fire to the rear cylinder after it warmed up, approx 5-10 minutes.
Pushrods adjustment OK, brand new wires and plugs.

I went to a local indy dealer, he suggested what I already had in mind, replace the coil first, cheaper, since my testing results were so inconsistent and varied. I bought a Crane coil (needed a small one), 3 ohms, starts quicker, but no difference in spark.

So now I am pretty sure it has to be a bad module, because it still has weak yellow/orange spark, and the rear cylinder does not always have spark.

A new Crane module is a little over my budget right now. Most of the folks here on the forum seem to be happy with the Ultima module, and it is cheaper too. But most of the guys I've talked to local have had failure problems with the Ultima module, some after less than 1 week. And this indy says he is constantly replacing the Ultima units with a Dyna module. He disagreed that the Ultima is just a re-badged Dyna, as I have been reading here on my search results.

Soooo.... I've decided to go with the Dyna module. My question here now is which Dyna module would be best to get for my ironhead? Seems like a lot of choices, I want as simple as possible.
I'm sure the indy will recommend which to get, but I wanted to ask the gurus here first. The various ones confuse me, I really don't need/want all of that programmable BS on a stock Ironhead. It is single fire and has the gold cup/cone that replaces sensor.

BTW, this indy is a great guy and reputable, and has really helped me out in the past. I used to work with him before he started his own shop, so I'm not worried about him ripping me off. His price is about the same as J&P Cycles, etc, and I save on shipping.
I'm getting fed up with some of these online/mail order places, wrong parts and difficult return policies. So I want to support our local small businesses as much as I can and establish good business relationships locally whenever possible.

So there is a Dyna "S", 2000, 2000i, etc. Anyone here running a Dyna on a stock Ironhead? Which one do you have?

Thanks, and here is a link to the indy shop I have been dealing with the most recently:
http://www.feltesmotorcyclesandfirearms.com/index.htm
Luke 11:21
Old 1st July 2013
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
Pan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to allPan55 is a name known to all

I have the dyna S dual fire....

it has been flawless now for two years.. ( though the coil did go bad..* 3 ohm coil*still runs fine, but after it gets hot, the idle is really inconsitant )

I have been running a stock 5 ohm coil with this dyna S now since this spring, and it has been fine...

I dont personally see the need for a single fire....not on stock and why pay the extra cost for 2 coils and the mounting ./..
Old 1st July 2013
Know It All

BrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to allBrnAgn is a name known to all

Now I'm really confused. Mine has only one coil, and one spark plug per head? I got the original parts when I bought it, single coil. I thought this was called single fire?
I thought the dual fire sparked both cylinders at the same time always?
My coil has 3 electrical terminals. I thought dual fire coils had 2 terminals.
Maybe the beer in the hot sun is hampering my memory...

Last edited by BrnAgn; 1st July 2013 at 02:37..
Old 1st July 2013
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

A single fire coil has 3 terminals, a dual fire coil has 2. A single fire coil is technically 2 coils in one package, typically manufactured so that it fits in where one stock coil mounts. A single fire coil is what you have.
Old 1st July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
gearhead63 is an unknown quantity at this point

BrnAgn,
You mentioned you lost fire to the rear plug, had a '77 in my shop with a Dyna module, one with 2 pickups, and one had already gone out and been disconnected. As soon as the engine started to warm up the rear plug would quit firing. It was the module. We pulled it and installed points. Only costs $12 for points and condenser, of course you have to clean, set and lube it.

Old 1st July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 71
T-Dubya is on a distinguished roadT-Dubya is on a distinguished roadT-Dubya is on a distinguished roadT-Dubya is on a distinguished road

Ive had no problems with my dyna s. did replace the coil and advance unit. couldnt run points because the cam gear was running too eccentric, ran like crap.
Old 1st July 2013
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
A single fire coil has 3 terminals, a dual fire coil has 2. A single fire coil is technically 2 coils in one package, typically manufactured so that it fits in where one stock coil mounts. A single fire coil is what you have.
Thanks IronMick! You always come through with your extensive knowledge. So I assume the Dyna coils probably have a switch, or a different wiring schematic depending on single or dual fire applications?

I have a week off work now, I wanna ride! Not push it and scream at it.
I am getting fairly fast at swapping these ignition parts now, had enough practice.
Every time one issue is fixed, carb, oil leak, brakes, starter, relay, solenoid, wiring, lights, etc etc, something else happens. Sooner or later I hope to ride for an entire weekend without breaking down and pushing.
On the positive side, lots of people stop to offer help for an old Ironhead. Rarely does anyone stop for a stranded Jeep or truck, as I usually do.
Old 1st July 2013
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Shovel/Pan
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
rivethog has disabled reputation

I've been running Crane Hi-4's since the early 90's. Never had one fail that wasn't due to "operator error". Put a Daytona Twin-Tec in my son's Sporty about 15,000mi ago. No problems. Neither on of us uses a "points cover". We run em open. Plenty of air circulation that way.
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 1st July 2013
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead63 View Post
BrnAgn,
You mentioned you lost fire to the rear plug, had a '77 in my shop with a Dyna module, one with 2 pickups, and one had already gone out and been disconnected. As soon as the engine started to warm up the rear plug would quit firing. It was the module. We pulled it and installed points. Only costs $12 for points and condenser, of course you have to clean, set and lube it.
Thanks. That may be my next fix, after this module and coil eventually gets cremated. I have all the original parts from the PO. Points, condensor, sensor plate, mechanical advance weights,etc, as well as brand new duplicate parts still in the packages.
I seriously think that the electrical components on mine are probably failing because I often have to ride it MX style to navigate our private road. Sometimes have to catch a little air so the forks don't bottom out so much.
That, and as my wife says "You still ride like a 15 year old kid on a dirt bike!"

We had so much rain this past week, been using 4x4 on the truck and Jeep to climb the hill. When the bike took a crap this time, at least 1 cylinder still worked. But not enough power to pull my @$$ up the driveway. I had to half push and gently slip the clutch to get up here. Bike was a muddy mess fer sure, me too, I shoulda took pics before I hosed it off. So running without a "points" cover would not be a wise thing to do living here. I can see how no cover would probably keep the module a lot cooler tho.
Ain't going back down again after I swap this module until I ride it around the property for at least 1 hour to make sure.
Old 1st July 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

You can limp home with defective points, with a little work/luck. No luck for a defective module, just saying
Know Thy Hog