The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Figure Machine
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Fourtrax 250R (ATV)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
bearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura about

Dayum - those questions look like they could have originated right here on this forum.
-Jason
Old 20th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
idiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura aboutidiggplants has a spectacular aura about

damn sharp looking bike though. im sure he will slowly drop the price and someone will get a deal on it. im amazed that he chose to "show questions" or whatever. normally he could either ignore the questions, or choose not to show it on the auction page.

shows ignorance and honesty can co-exist at least.
IRONHEAD MAFIA MEMBER #03
1969 xlh ironhead, 6" over forks, S+S super E, 4" risers, 12" apes, bates style bottom mount headlight, forward controls, drag pipes, king n queen seat, rear mag wheel. otherwise stock :)
Old 20th February 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

He is only about 45 minutes from here. If it still available this weekend I would love to see it in the flesh.
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Yep, an XLX with wire wheels, a different tank, older single disc front end (?), aftermarket front fender, different risers and bars, different pipes, and some extra chrome. Not a bad-looking bike, but it sounds like the owner was fed a line by someone.....

Here's mine for comparison, which is a little closer to stock.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 20th February 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Buck101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly the idiots at the stealership probably conned him into buying it at that price, (or higher) and he is just trying to recoop his money. The guy is taking a beating and I feel sorry for him because I am sure he honestly thought he had a one off sporty on a shovel frame. Makes me think how at one time we were all that ignorant.

As for the price, nothing I would pay, but the name Harley puts dollar signs in the eyes of the uninformed - a lot of people think the name makes all H-Ds worth their weight in gold.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th February 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xls
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
-stinky- is an unknown quantity at this point

That bike does not have a Wideglide frame. You can tell by looking at it that its a stock Sportster frame. Ironhead motors and Shovelhead motors are mounted in their frames in completely different ways. The small details are almost endless but the main differences are; 1) that the Shovelhead has a separate transmission which requires some extra space behind the motor and 2) the Shovelhead motor sits on a couple platforms which it bolts to and the Ironhead motor sort of hangs in the frame with the mounts in front and behind it. Of course it is possible that someone could modify any frame to accept any motor, but the amount of work it would take to apapt a Sportster motor to a BT frame would not be a very cost effective way for the company to use up extra frames.
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 70
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Softail Springer
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
SpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished road

AMF era lasted about 10 years...late 60's to late 70's. I have never heard of an iron head engine on a wide glide frame!

Sam
Old 20th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron Mafia "61 incher"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Triumph 650 Bonneville
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Spitfire
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
CrazyHorse is on a distinguished roadCrazyHorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2179 View Post
AMF era lasted about 10 years...late 60's to late 70's. I have never heard of an iron head engine on a wide glide frame!

Sam
13 years

AMF was 1969 to June 1981 was it not?
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinkaos71 View Post
He is only about 45 minutes from here. If it still available this weekend I would love to see it in the flesh.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just email him through ebay to contact you if the bike doesn't sell, which is an extremely likely scenario. Go take a look with 3K in your pocket. If the mileage looks legit, make your offer.

The guys at dealerships are car salesmen with tattoos. They know as much about an 83 Ironhead as my two-year-old niece.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 21st February 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

I sent an email to the guy. There were no bids on the bike. I like the bike but the whole frame thing had me wierded out. Hopefully I can take a look at it this weekend. Will let you guys know what happens. I found his ad on Cragslist with his number. I am gonna give him a call.
Know Thy Hog