The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Fix My Hog
Fix My Hog
Figure Machine
Dead Creek Cycles

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
JackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oil pressure gauge?

Has anyone tried mounting a small gauge in place of the switch without running a remote line, or is there just not enough room under there?
Old 15th July 2013
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

Why??? you'll probably end up disapointed.... our oil systems work off volume not pressure. you won't get a great deal of pressure readings off a gage.... someone will come back with correct numbers, but I believe we only run around 10psi or so when warm.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 15th July 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

JackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of lightJackalAR is a glorious beacon of light

First of all I think it would be cool to have a functioning gauge, especially since I have deleted my dummy lights. I was considering wiring up an LED for the oil pressure only, but would MUCH prefer to go mechanical than dummy light. This particular bike doesn't have anything but a headlight with 2-way switch, start button, A-model tail light, and a rear brake switch. Not even any paint on the tins. I want it to be as minimal as possible. From what I understand I should see 20 or so PSI, so a 30 PSI gauge would show quite a bit of action I'd think. Not that I want to watch it as I ride...that's why I was asking about mounting it under the oil filter, just a quick place to check when / if I hear lifter noise. Otherwise, I may as well plug the hole.
Old 16th July 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

When warm these things don't show much pressure at an idle, unlike a plain bearing car engine. I am not sure seeing the gauge reading next to nothing would be all that comforting.

If you need to run extra plumbing to get the gauge to where you can see it, you increase the potential for problems.

I personally am not a fan of oil pressure gauges on these things. I have seen too many of them create problems that would not have otherwise occurred. I know it seems like they can keep you out of trouble, but my take is that they are more trouble than they are worth. You are unlikely to be looking at the gauge at the moment it shows you are in harms way and it a moment you won't need to have a gauge to let you know you have trouble.

An oil pressure light is more likely to get picked up visually in time for it to matter. That is one reason race cars often have "idiot" lights as well as the more accurate gauge.

I am aware that a lot of folks will disagree with me on this one, which is fine, but that is my take. steve
Old 16th July 2013
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

There really isnt room down there
It can be done but I see a 100 bucks in lines and fittings plus the gauge !
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2013
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalAR View Post
Has anyone tried mounting a small gauge in place of the switch without running a remote line,
No line? So the gauge would be mounted instead of the oil pressure switch, under/behind the oil filter? What would be the point of that?

Also, I agree with the others: there's really no point.
'The green machine'
Old 16th July 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
No line? So the gauge would be mounted instead of the oil pressure switch, under/behind the oil filter? What would be the point of that?

Agreed.
Old 16th July 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

Thanks for your input, I suppose I will let it go. Maybe add the light back one day. My thought was that if I was concerned with oil pressure for whatever reason, I would have a place to check it. Do these oil pumps ever really fail or is it extremely rare?
Old 16th July 2013
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

You would only have been able to check it at idle, and at idle there's virtually no pressure anyway.

They can fail. Mine did when a can gear tooth broke off and the oil pump ate it.
Old 16th July 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

It has been stated that the first sign is lifter noise, then the dummy light which comes on too late as it is, because as stated, it has little to no pressure at idle anyway and the light would trigger at idle. My thought was that if I suspected anything, I could look at the gauge, and if necessary have someone hold the throttle open for me a little to generate pressure.
Know Thy Hog