The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
883 Sportster
Progressive Suspension
Licks Cycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free wheel play?

With the bike supported off the ground how much free wheeling should I expect front and back? Just trying to decide if the axles are too tight...Cos
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: old ironhead .
Sportster/Buell Year #2: ???
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 kaw z1
Other Motorcycle Year: 73
garbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the rough

on the rear you need the chain off then should roll free and not stop fast and stop in diffrent places with the brakes not draging if it stops in the same place every time it needs the wheel balanced .. the front should spin free and the spedo gear will slow it some but if they roll with no drag ok or if you can get a side to side shake on the wheels they are loose. has to be just a very small side to side movement if any . . hope this helps . cu gar
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I made spacers out of pvc pipe so I can bolt up the axel in the wheel off the bike to feel endplay. Mine was a little too loose, so I used fine grit sandpaper to shorten the spacer.

It's very easy.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars