The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Bison Motorsports
Get Lowered
Foxcreek Leather
NRHS Performance Long 2

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
sportsterbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sportster clutch

cannot get clutch adjusted on a 2001 sportster.i have manual,ive done everything by the book.but still no clutch.
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Question Clutch

Is the cable completely slack?

WE NEED MORE DETAILS!!!
Old 20th February 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC - Finally!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
langner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the rough

A lot of times, the bike sits for a few weeks because it is cold and crappy out and then you think the clutch is stuck when you pull the lever and can't roll the bike around in your garage.

Is this what is happening?

If so, put her in neutral, fire it up, let it idle for a few seconds, pull the clutch and give her a pop into first. You might want to put the front wheel up against something firm, just in case.
Old 20th February 2008
Biker

i just got the bike back from the shop[H-D shop]new front end & bars.would not even pull in my garage.and now they say its on me,so i bought a manual and adjusted it 5 times so far.still no luck
Old 20th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold

Did you ride it back or was it delivered/trailered?
You need to tell us a lot of stuff at once, not just a bit here and there. Tell us from the start what went on from when it left your possession til you got it back with the clutch problem and whether... things like the lever flops in and out or whatever...

Last edited by williamv1203; 20th February 2008 at 19:50.. Reason: more
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th February 2008
Biker

it was delivered
Old 20th February 2008
Biker

it ran fine when i put it in the shop,its only got 5000 miles on it.when i got it back i rode it around the block,it ran fine.i shut her down tipped the delivery dude and went in the house for an hour or so.i came back out to put her up for the night.and had no clutch,no slop in the lever or cable.it was in gear when i tried to start it.so i pulled in the clutch and it just lurched.i put it in neutral and fired her up.she sounded good,so i tried first gear,it lurched forward and died like i didnt have the lever pulled in.
Old 20th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

Did they change your clutch cable?

Did they have to disconnect the cable from the clutch at all?

I'm assuming that you still have pressure on the cable...so it's not likely that the cable just came loose inside the clutch cover...

Did you try opening the derby cover and making sure everything is still hooked up properly?
Godspeed brother.[/B]

[B]"I just love the 'mechanicalness' of it"[/B]
--Indian Larry Desmedt[/SIZE]
Old 20th February 2008
Biker

no new cables,ive had the derby cover off 5 times.and everything looks fine and is still hooked up.when i pull the lever in the ramp and ball still moves so i assume the cable is still good.
Old 20th February 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterbob View Post
no new cables,ive had the derby cover off 5 times.and everything looks fine and is still hooked up.when i pull the lever in the ramp and ball still moves so i assume the cable is still good.
Did ya pull the ramp out and make sure all the balls are there and in their slots?

Is the ramp moving outward as it turns?
Know Thy Hog