The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Energy One Clutches
NHRS Performance
S&S Cycle
Lowbrow Customs

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1966
Sportster/Buell Year: xlch
tizard is on a distinguished roadtizard is on a distinguished road
Default 66 xlch clutch sprocket; ratchet gear rivets

gee, i have to take the rivets out of my clutch sprocket to repalce the stablelizeing washer,,what is a way i can do it with nothing but a drill,,,i am trying to cut costs, i am takeing it to the machine shop to put new ones in it but maybe i can save a bit if i can get these out myself,,thanks very much and what side are the rivets factory side?? again thanks ten times ten..
Old 18th July 2013
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizard View Post
gee, i have to take the rivets out of my clutch sprocket to repalce the stablelizeing washer,,what is a way i can do it with nothing but a drill,,,i am trying to cut costs, i am takeing it to the machine shop to put new ones in it but maybe i can save a bit if i can get these out myself,,thanks very much and what side are the rivets factory side?? again thanks ten times ten..
the rivets are kind of nail like, the heads are on the ratchet side, center punch them and drill with a bit slightly smaller then the heads, go slowly until the head spins off, if your re using the ratchet ring try not to drill into it. drive the remainder of the rivet out from the ring gear side with a suitable drift pin.
Old 18th July 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1966
Sportster/Buell Year: xlch
tizard is on a distinguished roadtizard is on a distinguished road
Default gravy on the bread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy3934 View Post
the rivets are kind of nail like, the heads are on the ratchet side, center punch them and drill with a bit slightly smaller then the heads, go slowly until the head spins off, if your re using the ratchet ring try not to drill into it. drive the remainder of the rivet out from the ring gear side with a suitable drift pin.
thanks,i will try this later today; my bike don't have a ring gear though,,kick only,,,gravy on the bread,,,thanks