The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Memphis Shades - Replacement Plastics

So in the Opinions About Windshield's Thead

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...=31370&page=18

Post #718 I just told the story of how I've used windshields on and off throughout my life.

When Jenn bought her first Harley (05 883L) back in 2005 she also bought the Harley Quick-Release (QR, leaves no hardware behind) Compact Touring Windshield because she preferred to keep that wind pressure off her neck, especially on the highway.

She liked it so much she pretty much kept the shield on 24/7.

When we bought the 07 XL1200L she moved the shield over to it and continued to use it.

Now fast forward to a few years ago when she bought the Ducati (and pretty much stopped riding the Harley), I took over primary use of the XL1200Lr and continued to adapt it for my use.

I rarely used her windshield because the Compact (15" over headlight) was just too short and produced really severe buffeting for me around my face.

I toyed with buying a new windshield that would match my height better, but couldn't see spending another $300-400 for another QR from Harley. And I didn't want to alter her windshield in case she decided she wanted to ride the Sporty again (but I've recently come to the conclusion that although she might in a pinch, I don't think she's ever going to actively chose it over the other bikes in our stable now).

Then Parrothead mentioned that Memphis Shades makes replacement Lucite windshields that are available on the relative cheap ($90-100ish depending on size) that fit the Harley QR Hardware.

I never thought to check for something like that before - thanks Parrohead.

I guess I should have known:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...cement+Plastic

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...cement+Plastic

So I finally got off my butt and ordered it.

http://www.memphisshades.com/harley-...arley-davidson

I decided that I wanted a new look too if I was going to go through the trouble - so when I disassembled the chrome hardware/trim that is used with the OEM mounts I decided to use some Plasti-Dip spray to blacken it out.

I'm very pleased with the results. The shield fit perfectly/mounted easily, feels like it is high quality, and produces a near total dead zone behind it on the highway (tested up to mid 90mph range).

The tall (19" over headlight) shield works great for me. I can look over it, or through it if I slouch a bit. The old rule of thumb to place the windshield about at nose level when seated seems to apply to me in this case.

I'm surprised how much quieter it is (which means I hear the motor that much more).

I still think I'll keep her naked through the summer and enjoy the bike immensely that way, but there are times when a shield is going to lesson fatigue, keep me warmer or drier, and generally just make a cold, long and/or fast ride easier and more pleasant.

Life is good!

Old 21st August 2013
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good! I still prefer my cut-down windscreens, but having a windscreen at times is a good thing.

As a side note...For all the things you've painted black, you should really look into powder coating. A couple months ago I got the Eastwood setup and couldn't be happier (although I hear good things about the Harbor Freight one as well). For doing brackets and such, I'll probably never use a rattle can again. Quick and easy. Something to consider...

Old 21st August 2013

Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

I went the way of cutting down windshields for a while, and cut back ones I used on both the Breva and Jackal. But I never got the total results I wanted and sorta prefer naked to a cut-down shield MOST of the time. That said, this tall windshield is a real change again.

As for Powdercoating, I have thought about DIYing it before, though I would need to purchase a dedicated oven, which doesn't really work in our current house. Maybe if we wind up in someplace larger with a better dedicated workshop.

That said Plasti-Dip is a bit more than "paint" - although it can go on in rattlecan form, it's a rubberized protective coating:

http://www.plastidip.com/

Something between rubber-undercoating and spray paint.

Very convenient to use, easy to change (can be cut/scraped/peeled off).

I've seen someone on the Guzzi forum coat tanks, fenders, hard parts etc. He even painted a Jackal then hand cut out and peeled the Plasti-Dip around the original decal exposing it.

A little arts and crafty, but very neat results.

These cross-bars are a test to see if I'm going to use it on the crashbars, mirrors, fork lowers in the future.
Old 21st August 2013

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty familiar with Plasti-Dip. I've been using it long before it became the "in" thing that it is now. Doesn't compare to powder coating. And for a "dedicated" oven, I'm using a large toaster over for most of my parts (although I do have a spare old oven in the basement for larger items).
Old 21st August 2013

Yeah, toaster oven wouldn't cover MOST of the stuff I do...

So educate me on the Plasti-Dip - how's the stuff you've done held up?

Would you consider it for Fork Lowers or Mirrors?
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Very convenient to use, easy to change (can be cut/scraped/peeled off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
So educate me on the Plasti-Dip - how's the stuff you've done held up?

Would you consider it for Fork Lowers or Mirrors?
Admittedly, I've never done any parts on a motorcycle. It's not hard like paint, so in some ways it's a bit more resilient than paint, but I've always found it's pretty easy to peel off. I suspect for something like forks that get lots of nicks/cuts from road debris, it maybe problematic.

I personally wouldn't consider it for forks or mirrors. I just don't consider it a permanent solution (although many do). And, with all the fanboys of the stuff, I have no doubt someone will chime in and say it has worked great for them for thousands of miles on their forks...

In my opinion, Plastic-Dip is great for handles of tools like it was intended to do. It also makes a good temporary coating, perfect if you want to "try" out a new color scheme. It would also work to protect a surface (like a rubber under-coat that can be removed easily). It'll be interesting to see how those windshield brackets hold up over a few years.

You would be surprised what you can fit in a large toaster oven! Bring a part over sometime and we can powder coat it.
Old 21st August 2013

LOL - I'll keep it in mind thanks!

On the Plasti - the guy on the Guzzi forum who has done extensive work with it has even done wheels and they've been holding up well. This guy's bikes live outside. I THINK he did these last year.

This Breva was Gray (like my old one) and Jackal was Black (Again, like my old one)

But I appreciate your thoughts/experience, maybe I'll wait on lowers and just by black mirrors...
Old 21st August 2013
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Sporting Lad put me on to the Memphis Shades replacement plastics a couple of years ago. I got one to increase the size of my H-D Compact QR windshield. That helped, but nowhere near as much as the replacement plastic from Klock Werks: their hippy flippy 'Billboard Flare' screen.
'The green machine'
Old 21st August 2013
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

I too use anH~D QR windshield on my '02 1200C, it works great and i don't get any buffeting, one thing I did notice is that gas mileage went down quite a bit, about 4-5 mpg, which I live with, not a problem, I just rethink my fill-ups. The shield is about 14"es above the headlight which I see over, I don't look through it, but over it.

Last edited by MacSporty02; 21st August 2013 at 18:12.. Reason: typo's
Old 21st August 2013
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

I love my Memphis shades windshield. they are awesome at customer service also. I called them to order a replacement part and there wasn't a charge. Not even for shipping and I'm the second owner. They only ask that if I felt the need to pay them to donate to St. jude's children's hospital instead. Great windshields and great company.

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Know Thy Hog