The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Zippers Performance
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage
Biltwell

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSB
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
beardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of light
Default 5 speed motor in a 4 speed EVO frame?

I did a search til my eyes turned red. Either I'm punching in the wrong key words or I'm doing something wrong. I dunno. Anyhow.

Can a complete 5 speed motor bolt into a 4 speed EVO frame with out breaking out a grinder and torch? I can't remember if there are clearence issues associated with that swap, or not.
Old 21st August 2013
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: S&S XL124" streettracker
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Jörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud of

I'm not certain about this, but if my memory serves me right there is some issue with the sidestand that has to be solved.
Old 21st August 2013

Jörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud of

Found a similar thread. Although regarding a taller than stock 5-speed engine. Sidestand issue is mentioned.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1515033
Old 21st August 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
BobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of lightBobWLR is a glorious beacon of light

Racers do that 5sp in a 4sp frame combo to lose a few pounds.
Old 21st August 2013
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Dakin Engineering has disabled reputation

BTDT,
Ya gotta lose the kickstand mount.
It's where the 5sp alternator lives.

Sam
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st August 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

beardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakin Engineering View Post
BTDT
What does that stand for?

So other than chopping the kick mount off, everything else is a go? Including the rear head?
Old 21st August 2013

There wasnt any other frame clearance problems than the kickstand when my oem 5-speed engine was installed in a friends 4-speed. Cylinder height is the same.
Old 21st August 2013
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

Been There Done That.
He is letting you know that he actually had to do that, as opposed to I think it will work....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
What does that stand for?

So other than chopping the kick mount off, everything else is a go? Including the rear head?
Old 21st August 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for the replies. I may have a project then...