The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Zippers Performance
S&S Cycle
Dead Creek Cycles
Licks Holiday

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2008
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead Basket (on lift)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH 80 Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
steve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enough
Default Ape cables (again)

Aping my 2K custom (12" narrow glide on stock custom riser). Mocked up cables and brake line with coax, then removed to measure. Coax lengths were ... -BRAKE LINE 47" -THROTTLE & IDLE CABLES 48" -CLUTCH CABLE 68". I was going to order the above lengths minus allowances for end fittings as follows. -BRAKE LINE 44" (47"-1 1/2" at each end for banjo fittings) -THROTTLE & IDLE CABLES 45" (48"-3" at bar end for 90 degree rigid fittings) -CLUTCH CABLE 68" Do these numbers make sense? THNX...JUST RIDE!
Old 22nd February 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
scott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the roughscott494 is a jewel in the rough

weird im putting 16"ers on mine (yet to do it) and i jsut went with measurements someone else gave me, from there 16" install (someone on here) and heres what they gave me.

Clutch- 68 11/16
throttle/idle- 39.5"
brake- 50"

what size are your risers

its got me worried now, your throttle/idle cable is a signifcant amount longer then what i was told for 16" lol

D-WAS MAFIA President
Offical Member #1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22nd February 2008
Harley Engineer

steve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enough
Default Routing cables

Scott. The T&I cable lengths that I got were with the cables zip tied to the right bar and then followed the stock routing through the trees. The stock riser on the custom is 5". I have pix of my mock-up but don't know how to post pix.
JUST RIDE!
Old 22nd February 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o- View Post
Aping my 2K custom (12" narrow glide on stock custom riser). Mocked up cables and brake line with coax, then removed to measure. Coax lengths were ... -BRAKE LINE 47" -THROTTLE & IDLE CABLES 48" -CLUTCH CABLE 68". I was going to order the above lengths minus allowances for end fittings as follows. -BRAKE LINE 44" (47"-1 1/2" at each end for banjo fittings) -THROTTLE & IDLE CABLES 45" (48"-3" at bar end for 90 degree rigid fittings) -CLUTCH CABLE 68" Do these numbers make sense? THNX...JUST RIDE!
Sounds long, 12" baby apes is barely taller than stock, I'd be surprised if you needed more than 2"-4" longer cables. For 16's it was + 6" for brake and throttle +4" for clutch cable for me.
Old 22nd February 2008
Harley Engineer

Default 2nd look

Just had another look at mock-up. Tightened-up clutch cable and took 3" out of it, (now 65") but brake and T&I measurements stand. The old bars were a 27" wide drag bar on 5" risers. The new bars are 32" wide 12" rise apes on same risers. JUST RIDE!
Know Thy Hog