The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Lickscycles
Licks Holiday
S&S Cycle
Energy One Clutches

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
mv7fd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 speed to 6 speed

has anyone ever replaced there 4 speed with a 6 speed transmission i'm tired of needing more gears and the wife wont let me get a newer bike i got a free 79 sportster 1000
Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Please let me know when this takes place, the Company did squeeze in a 5th gear on the Sportster EVO motor many years ago, 6 is a stretch in that tight compartment
Old 2nd September 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

I think you can do a search at the bottom of this pg and find some that have cut trans away and added BT's gear box here's what I found with the search.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...eed&gsc.page=1
Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

just put a bigger front sprocket on it (if you feel like you have to) and ride it. don't worry about needing another gear. your bike can handle the interstate speeds and then some for extended periods. I do it all the time.
Old 2nd September 2013
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv7fd View Post
has anyone ever replaced there 4 speed with a 6 speed transmission i'm tired of needing more gears and the wife wont let me get a newer bike i got a free 79 sportster 1000
Have you considered the other option?
Get a new wife.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of

Just take back roads...

Thats pretty much the only thing I absolutely hate about my bike, I run out of gear so fast and I put the 23 up front. I'm stuck taking back roads.
Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice
Default 6 Speed XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
Have you considered the other option?
Get a new wife.
pg
Love That One PG!
All due respects to the Poster, on another Post you also asked about converting a 79 to an XR type motor because you landed the 79 Free, we are entering the Dream world here, Nothing Cheap or Free in that arena and there is only so much that can be done that makes sense either in reality or from the pocket book..
Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH- old school chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1981 XL
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton HighRider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
trappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to all

what rpm are you at when you "run out of gear"?

I ask, because I'm still under 4000 running 70
Old 2nd September 2013
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of

I don't know, just feels like it's coming apart and it sucks.
Old 2nd September 2013
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

Final drive is still 1:1 no matter how many gears.
Know Thy Hog