The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace.com

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Robohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enough
Default Stripped threads in primary cover

Hey Guys and Gals, I'm new to the board here. I have 2000 XL1200C. I bought a new HD logo derby cover the other day. I installed it last night. No problem there, but when I went to put the 4 torx bolts back in, the bottom one stripped out. I did not over tighten it, it just gave out very easily. This is the hole that is stripped, not the bolt. So my question is.....what are my options? I don't want to replace the entire primary cover if I don't have to. Can the hole be drilled bigger and tapped and then insert a sleeve that would fill the gap? I did this years ago when my VW bug blew out the spark plug hole threads. I have no idea if it can be done on such a small scale though. Are there any other options out there? It is leaking right now, so I'm not riding until it's fixed. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Ron
Old 14th November 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSX750ESG
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
bshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura about

Hi, welcome aboard.

I am sure you can get thread inserts for this. I hear it is quite a common problem. It will entail drilling, tapping and insertion of a thread insert.

Cheers,

Brett
Aesthetics: chin spoiler, bikini fairing, front signal relocation
Old 14th November 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Heli-Coil is the one i hear about the most.

What you might try tho first is to just run a same-size tap in the hole. Sometimes i have found in these cases there is still enough threads, once repaired, to hold the bolt. Then use a new bolt, with blue LokTite, tighten just to firm.
Old 14th November 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Get a self tapping screw ... easy

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 14th November 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
woody95 has disabled reputation

Get rid of the torx bolts and get a good set of stainless allen bolts. I've had my derby cover offf so many times I stripped the heads on the torx long ago and had to drill and use an easy out to get them out before I replaced with the stainless.

Bob
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th November 2005
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

One word....Heli-coil.

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
MY GALLERY

02 883 > NRHS 1250 Stage 2 - Nasty Nancy
Old 14th November 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: '00
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: '72
xlhflh is an unknown quantity at this point

Same happened to me on my '00 XLH. When I inspected the threads I found the only the first 1/4 inch was stripped and that I had a full inch of threads in the hole. Longer screws did the trick for me.
Hope this helps.
Ride Safe
Bob
Old 14th November 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

Theres even a easyer way, get you some peratex striped thread repair compond. It comes in a two part epoxy type stuff that you mix together and put it in the stripped hole, then there a releaseing agent that you put on the screw. Then after putting the releaseing agent on the screw, screw it in. then wait about ten mins. Then you can unscrew it and the stripped threads will have reformed. Just don't tighten the shit out of it, just snuge it up a little thats all it takes!
Old 15th November 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Robohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enoughRobohead will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the suggestions. The threads were far to gone to re-tap. They actually came out with the bolt when they stripped. After seeing the first response, I went down to Autozone and found a 'fix-a-thread' kit. It came with a 1/4" heli-coil insert, a tap and a coil installation tool. Cost $19. All I had to do was drill out what was left of the existing threads, tap the new hole and install the heli-coil. Took 10 mins and worked like a charm. I do like the idea of replacing the torx bolts with allen bolts. That's next on my list. Thanks again for all the input. This is definitely the place to go for answers.
Old 15th November 2005
Biker

gvd883r has disabled reputation

my threads stripped also, longer 3/4" length bolts worked for me.
Know Thy Hog