The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Motor Stage
Superbrace
Progressive Suspension
Speedway Instruments

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Street triple R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Rioo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tappet guide oil leak

Hi everyone,

There is a oil leak under the front intake tappet guide of my ironhead. I pulled out the tappet guide and changed the o-ring but the leak is still here. I've noticed that the tapet guide was loose in the crankcase hole. This hole seem to be worn out. But what can I do? Can I make a quick loctite gasket to put under the tappet guide ?

thk
Old 22nd September 2013
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH- old school chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1981 XL
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton HighRider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
trappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to all

those leaks are a bugger to get rid of- the 81 has those and I hate em. if someone has a truly remarkable tip, I'd be all ears.

I drilled the oil holes in the tappets to the next size as per a tip I once read, and that helped a lot. silicone doesn't do much good, but after replacing her cams I had one that leaked with new o-rings, so we made a gasket for between the case and guide, and used the brush on red gasket sealer, and that seems to have stopped the leak

I liked the old style better, they were more of a pain to remove, but they didn't leak.
Old 22nd September 2013
Biker

Thank trappnman.

You drilled all the tappets? What kind of red gasket did you use?
Old 22nd September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

I just went thru this last week, I cleaned up the surfaces with Brake Kleen on a rag, Install a new O Ring, with the Tappet Base on It's Back add a Bead of Ultra Copper Hi Temp RTV from the O Ring to the flat of the base, not too much-just enough to cover, Install the Tappet and Base, lock it down with the hex bolt and leave it Overnight.. just did 125 miles yesterday, the repaired Tappet base did not leak..

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...t-maker-detail
Old 22nd September 2013
Biker

Hi Monte03,

I can see I'm not alone ;-) When you say "add a Bead of Ultra Copper Hi Temp RTV from the O Ring to the flat of the base" it is all around? How thick is your permatex product? I've got loctite quick gasket paste http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255217 .. This black paste is thick , do you think I can use it?

Thk
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
Hi Monte03,

I can see I'm not alone ;-) When you say "add a Bead of Ultra Copper Hi Temp RTV from the O Ring to the flat of the base" it is all around? How thick is your permatex product? I've got loctite quick gasket paste http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255217 .. This black paste is thick , do you think I can use it?

Thk
I swear by the Ultra Hi Temp that I added the link for, I use it to line the ID of exhaust flanges to seal leaks, when I say Just Enough, I'm not a Fan of Adding anything Silicone to a Motor so some Common sense needs to be applied here, the underside of the tappet base flat is not near any oil passage so I went for it, the Ultra Hi Temp is on the thick side, not runny and nasty as what we Cal Black Permatex.. the key is to let is set over night or 24/hrs

Yes-All Around where the Round section of base meets the Base Flat, once bolted down that Ultra will compress- JUST ENOUGH SIR
Old 22nd September 2013
Biker

Thanks for your advice I bought the permatex ultra cooper i'm going to test that this weekend.
Old 23rd September 2013
Custom Bike Builder

trappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to all

well good luck on the silicone- while I use it and like it for other applications, for whatever reason even though I've tried it multi times on tappet block guides, cleaned off and dried off well- it never really seems to provide a tight seal

yes, I just reamed out the original drain holes a tad- this allows the oil to drain faster down the pushrod covers. Read it in one of the EasyRider tech books

its just high tac gasket sealer- NAPA sells it under the Permatex brand and I made a gasket out of gasket paper- hard one to made as back edge is so narrow, let it set on the case side, then installed guide, sealant on both sides of gasket
Old 23rd September 2013
Biker

Thanks trappnman, what gasket paper did you use? thickness?
Old 23rd September 2013
Custom Bike Builder

now that I don't know- not the real thick rubberized type, more the thin paper kind
Know Thy Hog