The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Licks Holiday
Sky Smith Insurance
Lickscycles
Progressive Suspension

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Generator Mount Leak

Spent most of the day tracing down leaks and have found one I,m not sure how to fix. Seems that the mounting bolt holes in the generator are cracked. The bolts are tightening but I am afraid to torque them down for fear of more damage. Just had the generator rebuilt and I hate to shell out the bucks to replace it. Any body have any ideas?...Cosmo
Old 25th February 2008
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

I had that same problem with one of the bolt holes. I had an helicoil installed. Has worked fine for 2 or 3 years. Be sure to use one for fine thread.

If there is a problem with the structural integrity of the gen case i would consider wrapping it with a 4,1/2" hose clamp or two after the helicoils are installed.

Those bolts need only about 10 ft lbs; not very much at all; plus some blue locktite. Easy to over tighten and wreck.

There does need to be a gasket between the gen and the case. I made one from cork gasket material from the auto supply store.
Old 13th March 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I received a new Generator drive cover I ordered From Jireh (part# 53-253) for about 11$. This looks to fix my mount problem. Just gotta be careful not to over tighten...Cos