The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
883 Sportster
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
BIKE BUILDER

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2008
Biker

sportydan has disabled reputation
Question handlebar help

Just purchased a set of bars from J & P.They don't have the knurling for the clamps.Does anyone know if I will have problems with them staying in place?They are model #5000051 low rise.I'm putting them on a 2005 Sportster 883C.
Thanks.
Old 27th February 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Ferguson TO-30 Tractor
Other Motorcycle Year: 1953
honkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the rough

I got bars without the knurling also, I was worried about that, but I've got about 1000 miles on it since and not a problem. Mine are drag bars though, so there isn't allot of leverage. Should be ok though.
Old 27th February 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Haggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enough

From my understanding it would probably only be an issue if you've got really tall bars.

My 13" bars DO NOT have any sort of knurling, and the people that I got them from said that the 13 inchers don't need them.

My stock Sportster Sport bars had knurling on them, and it seems that from them being on the bike for so long, a bit of it dug into the riser clamps...so for now i'm goign to try them w/o any additional knurling and see if the riser knurling will do the job.

But like Honkytnk said...if they're low/drag bars, you shouldn't have any problems.

Marc
Ramflo 400 A/C, RB Racing LSR 2-1 Chrome Turnout; Mustang Vintage Solo & Pillion Pad, Roland Sands Design Black Tracker Grips, Sik N Twisted 13" Monkey Barz, Harrison Specialties LED Blinkers, HID hi/low 6k Light, Lick's Solo Bag, RK rear shocks, custom sissy bar, custom paint by Fast Eddie in Long Island.
Old 27th February 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Moe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Mod the mod.

All you need to do, just to be safe, is to put a few dimples in the bars (where the knurling would be) with a hammer and a punch. Probably not really needed but better safe than sorry.

Old 27th February 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

I would think that you'd be ok. Just keep checking for tightness on the first few rides. Might also do what Moe74 recommends or maybe just use a some silicone on the clamps.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog