The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs
Dead Creek Cycles

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: crf450
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
KingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enough
Default oil tank overfill?

I had no idea overfill was possible. Is it?
I took it out for a couple of quick 3-4 mile runs then for the 20 back to the house. Before I took off back home I looked into the oil reservoir, stuffed a stick in it and filled it to about 9/10th capacity just for good measure. Oil reservoir is custom. After I gained about 500ft of elevation and about 5 miles I got a low throttle sputter, Down shifted and kept the rpm's high, gained about another 1000ft and had to keep it in third. Descended 1000ft and parked at my house. When I fired back up I got a smoke backfire through the carb and running smoky. Seems as though it wants to run like a top although I feel I could have made an error in my oil reservoir filling. It seems to be running like my 2stroke when I mix my fuel incorrectly. Am I supposed to leave an empty buffer zone within my oil reservoir. If so how much?
Old 25th November 2013
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Racepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of light

I seldom use more than 2-3 qts total...depending on tank
Only add oil After ya ride.
Search sumping.
Now...Drain that tank down to about 1/2 full, and run it kinda easy till it clears the bottom end of excess oil.
Old 25th November 2013
Know It All

KingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enoughKingOfPaint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
I seldom use more than 2-3 qts total...depending on tank
Only add oil After ya ride.
Search sumping.
Now...Drain that tank down to about 1/2 full, and run it kinda easy till it clears the bottom end of excess oil.
Thanks RP
Old 25th November 2013

Racepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of lightRacepres is a glorious beacon of light

BTW Ya may wanna change the plugs once this "episode" is over.
Old 25th November 2013
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

There should be three hoses at the oil tank - input to the tank, output to the oil pump, and a vent. The vent usually attaches near the top of the tank but it may attach at the bottom with a standpipe inside the tank. In any case, fill it such that oil is not going to flow from the tank into the vent.

I fill mine to the edge of the flange for the vent fitting, about 1/4" to 1/2" below the hole. This is ~3 quarts, perhaps a little less.

And, as already mentioned, top up the oil tank only after running the engine for a while.
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th November 2013
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
BTW Ya may wanna change the plugs once this "episode" is over.
I will. Thanks again.

Just out of curiosity, why the oil reservoir?
Old 25th November 2013

Well....
The H-D is a Dry sump system..Never really should be any oil laying in the bottom.
Contrary to what you may have heard...these are Not overgrown Briggs and Strattons.
They were originally copied from aircraft rotary engine designs.
Kind of ahead of their time...In their Time