The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Bison Motorsports
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Fix My Hog

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 74chopster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
74chopster has disabled reputation
Default timing oil pump

i timed my 1974xlch oil pump with my cam timing marks. is that right if so somEbody please let me know thanks............mark
Old 28th February 2008
Biker

ok yaw i called my local harley mechanic here in sc. rob steele who owns steele cycles. it was confirmed that when your cams are in there timing marks. and the vent hole in the oil pump should be visible in the notched part of the pump this is on a 1974xlch i looked in this forum couldnt find the answer so here it is. for whom ever needs to know this. i know if not in timed it will create heating issues
Old 28th February 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda VTX 1800 Retro
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Jtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74chopster View Post
i timed my 1974xlch oil pump with my cam timing marks. is that right if so somEbody please let me know thanks............mark
I just lined my 75 up the other day. I'm a little weirded by the fact that there's stock intakes in there, but andrews pb+ exhaust, but it should be fine.... right?

When I was lining up the timing holes, I locked the engine at rear TDC (Vertical line in the timing hole for me), then I slipped on the worm gear the drives the oil pump (no good picture of this), and it had a mark pointing straight up. I lined this up with the oil pump's dot sitting right in the notch. It took a few tries to roll it into place but all was good. Then I lined up the pinion gear and everything looked like what you see below. Was everything the same for you?

wrenching in my garage with a big stupid grin on my face.
Old 28th February 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Yep,

That's the right procedure for timing the oil pump.

Patrick
Old 28th February 2008
Biker

Ive timed mine in the past before but forgot its had been a while. and this same processes works for my andrews y series cams so it'll do the same for bp+ cams
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st March 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12X Ulysses
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Yami XS650 (custom)
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
Rush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the roughRush is a jewel in the rough

Looks right to me. When my boyfriend's motor came, I noticed the cam cover on this new "professionally" rebuilt engine wouldn't seat properly, so I removed it and lo and behold the cams were all out of whack. I re-installed the cams and now it seats just right.

Maybe it's my fault for not asking what sort of "professional" rebuilt the engine... a professional lettuce picker or what?

Now I need to go through this gem & see what else was professionally overlooked.
Old 1st March 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
JonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura aboutJonnyRtn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Looks right to me. When my boyfriend's motor came, I noticed the cam cover on this new "professionally" rebuilt engine wouldn't seat properly, so I removed it and lo and behold the cams were all out of whack. I re-installed the cams and now it seats just right.

Maybe it's my fault for not asking what sort of "professional" rebuilt the engine... a professional lettuce picker or what?

Now I need to go through this gem & see what else was professionally overlooked.
WHOA... she fixed her BF's bike...... DAAAAMMMMNNNN... lucky guy...
Old 13th May 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha yz250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished road

ok so let me get this straight... i need to reinstall my oil pump... so with my cams all lined up with the timing marks all i have to do is install the pump with the breather hole lined up wiht that notch?
Old 13th May 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda VTX 1800 Retro
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Jtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwalke View Post
ok so let me get this straight... i need to reinstall my oil pump... so with my cams all lined up with the timing marks all i have to do is install the pump with the breather hole lined up wiht that notch?
Yup. If you pull that normal gear off of the drive shaft, you'll see a pinion gear under it that drives the oil pump. The pinion gear has a mark on it, point that straight up in the air, while the oil pump's mark is in the notch. This will time your breathing. Then put that normal gear back on and all of the cams back in so the marks line up. Sounds simple, right? If you've got these off anyway, you might want to look into measuring the cam spacing and replacing the spacers if necessary. Mick's got a sticky on it.
Old 13th May 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha yz250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished road

so lets say after its all together that hole is slightly off from that notch... what kind of problems might one run into running it this way?... just curious
Know Thy Hog