The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Fix My Hog
Superbrace
Bison Motorsports
NRHS Performance Long 2

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2014
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: C for Chrome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Eric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of light
Default Belt guard lower removal

Ive seen a lot of RM EFI bikes with the either both or just the lower guard removed.
I am about to remove the lower plastic guard/guide.

Any cons doing this? The pro is its ugly and needs to go.

I will leave the nightster upper belt guard, stops the rain water from climbing up me leg
Old 20th January 2014
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Headbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to allHeadbarcode is a name known to all

If you ride alot of gravel roads, you risk punching a hole in a pricy belt when a stone eventually takes a ride over the wheel sprocket. It also has an adjustment gauge for the belt on it. I think it looks like shit myself and mine is long gone, but the only gravel my bike sees is the yard my shop is in and I take it slow anyway.
Old 20th January 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I think it helps keep small stones and gravel from getting in between the belt and pulley. I tool mine off in 93 and never looked back. never missed it.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 20th January 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Other Motorcycle Model: kz750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant future

I've only seen two broken belts and both bikes didn't have a lower belt guard... One buddy had a little stick get in his while riding which broke the belt and the other guy i'm not really sure what happened but i blamed it on his recently removed lower guard...
08 XL883;HAMMER 1250,Heavy breather,Rinehart 2-1, Power Vision,Ebc floating rotor,XR1200 Nissin caliper,1200R Mastery cylinder,RK shocks,1in tank lift,wire tuck,crossroads fork brace,low rise drag bars int.wired,Goodridge Ss line,Chrome valve stem covers, and a few top secret parts..
Old 20th January 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: KLR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
spoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I still have the lower belt guard and picked up a chip seal stone which cut the belt. broken belt! Is the guard necessary? Don't know, but its not a guarantee that you won't get a rock.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th January 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

No!! Don't do it! You will crash and burn within ten miles. Most accidents are caused by the lack of a belt guard or removing the second throttle cable. Do you remove the tags that say, "Do not remove" from the mattress in yer bed? Yer livin' waaaay out on the edge...
Old 20th January 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
No!! Don't do it! You will crash and burn within ten miles. removing the second throttle cable. Do you remove the tags that say, "Do not remove" from the mattress in yer bed? Yer livin' waaaay out on the edge...
Damn, I'm doomed I removed 2 of these!
Old 20th January 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xl 883 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
jonnybegood is on a distinguished roadjonnybegood is on a distinguished road

If you don't like it get rid of it. Your choice. I've removed mine a couple of years ago no probs. touch wood
Old 20th January 2014
Wannabe

Sportster/Buell Model: lightning powered custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
rubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to beholdrubine is a splendid one to behold

Im only gonna be running 1 cable in an internal throttle. Calculated risk I can control. I cant control the lil ol lady with bad hearing and eyesight that may pull out in fromt of me!
Old 20th January 2014
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: C for Chrome
Eric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of lightEric Von Zipper is a glorious beacon of light

Only dirt or rocks mine sees is a 10 foot patch between the road and my concrete driveway. Most of the time I just cut across the lawn. So no rocks unless I pick one up on the road.

Hey Mosey, I live dangerously, dont use rubbers either! Have not had a kid yet (cept the one my ex wanted)

That ugly sucker is sooo gone
Know Thy Hog