The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2005
Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How-To: Shock install

Just got Progressive 412 - 11" shocks for my wife's 883 Low.

What is the proper procedure to install them. I don't have the HD tech manual. It looks simple enough......But, I've damaged enough stuff to know better.

Rick
Old 24th November 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

gronk62 has disabled reputation

I find the easiest way is if you have a bike lift/stand of some kind.

I use this combined with a small jack under the cast peice that the rear brake master cylinder bolts to..

Make sure you loosen the nut first on the lower shock bolt. If you try to undo the bolt before you loosen the nut you could strip the stoopid torx drive thingo which is a size "50".
The top bolt is also really tight so go carefully.

Once you have the old shocks removed just adjust the jack height to suit the length of the new shocks so they line up with the holes.

Reassemble using whatever combination of spacers and washers works for you.
I use this combination for the lower mount but there are several different ways that all work well.

Old 24th November 2005
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember that if you take off both shocks at the same time the rear wheel will fall a few inches. If possible just do one side at a time.

Don't forget to check the tightness of the belt when you are done.

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM
XLF on Tumblr - http://xlforum-net.tumblr.com

AMA #961454
Old 24th November 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplinson
Also remember that if you take off both shocks at the same time the rear wheel will fall a few inches.
I use the jack to keep the rear wheel just touching the ground so I can take both off together.
It makes it easier to fit shocks that differ in length from standard.

I removed 13.25" shocks and lowered the jack to shorten the distance between mounts to 12" so my new shocks just fit straight on with no wrestling
Old 25th November 2005
Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Gronk,

You say, "Make sure you loosen the nut first on the lower shock bolt. If you try to undo the bolt before you loosen the nut you could strip the stoopid torx drive thingo which is a size "50". The top bolt is also really tight so go carefully."

OK, I see the bottom mount has the Torx bolt going into the nut. Is the top mount threaded directly into the chrome fender support??

Oh yeah, how about the proper tourque setting?

Rick
Old 25th November 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdam
OK, I see the bottom mount has the Torx bolt going into the nut. Is the top mount threaded directly into the chrome fender support??

Rick
Yes it is.

Still looking for the torque spec.

I'll tell ya this, I didn't torque mine. Just blue lock-tite.
Old 25th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Okay, found it, from the MoCo service manual (if you don't have one, get one )

45-50 ft lbs for top and bottom.
Old 25th November 2005
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdam

The fender support is a cast section with a chrome cover and yes the bolt just screws straight in.

Torque? I never bother with torque settings on bolts like that. Just a bit of blue loctite and do it good and firm. NOT stupid tight like they come from the factory.
Old 25th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant futuremerc has a brilliant future

good thread guys.
I watch for all these how to's and document them in case.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th November 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
denise1955 is on a distinguished roaddenise1955 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the thread guys - I'm printing it off. This is my next modification.

Denise