The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
NRHS Performance Long 2
Burly
Foxcreek Leather
RYCA Motors

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R Mirage Orange!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
jhawkr is on a distinguished roadjhawkr is on a distinguished road
Default Enricher/Choke knob assembly replacement.

I decided to do a little riding today (73F!) and the 1st thing I did was reach down to pull the choke knob out and it broke straight down the middle in two pieces. So, I rode over to the Harley store and find out that the knob is part of the cable assembly and you have to buy/replace the whole thing. They had one in stock and I bought it. About $12. So, I'm looking at this little cable assembly and see that it goes to the carb (as I suspected) and disapears behind the air cleaner housing. So I try to take the air cleaner housing backing plate off and a socket won't fit on the nut because it's recessed. Does this take a special tool? Anyway, am I going about this whole thing the right way? It ought to be a simple fix but I figure a little asking now might be in order. So, anybody replaced one of these little buggers?
Old 26th November 2005
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1199 (1200 Conv.)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2011
Preacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the roughPreacher is a jewel in the rough

Haven't replace one, but did pull the A/C off.

Use a sparkplug socket, they have thinner walls and are deep enough.
Bastard by birth, Bastard by nature.
Old 26th November 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
radar is on a distinguished roadradar is on a distinguished roadradar is on a distinguished road

Instructions are in the FM, no big deal. I pulled the carb off when I did mine. Just be sure everything goes back the way you found it.

2005 XL1200C
Black, Chrome, and Taxed
2007 RK Classic
Suede Blue/Black, stock 'till I blow it up
Old 27th November 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

A 1/4" drive socket is thinner than a 3/8" drive socket. I had to buy a 1/4" drive socket to remove the reg/rect on one of my bikes. It would fit in the recess where the 3/8" drive socket would not fit.
Old 27th November 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 Tax's paid
tcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the roughtcspannerwrench is a jewel in the rough

the same thing hapened to mine but it was summertime knob broke right down the middle i made a new one there is a pic in my gallery linked in my sig.

Old 27th November 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R Mirage Orange!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
jhawkr is on a distinguished roadjhawkr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar
Instructions are in the FM, no big deal. I pulled the carb off when I did mine. Just be sure everything goes back the way you found it.

"FM"? What's FM?

I thought the knob breaking was a common problem when the parts guy took one look at the knob and said, "You have to buy the whole cable assembly" and walked straight back to the part without looking it up. I'll replace it this time but I might give some thought to making a knob with a set screw if it ever happens again. I'll poke around and see if I can find a thin-walled socket. What size is it? 5/8? 13/16?
Old 27th November 2005
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkr
"FM"? What's FM?

FM = Factory manual or service manual.
Old 27th November 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
maddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura about

Mine broke once..Apparently they are molded on.. I bought a chrome aftmkt replacement that was threaded...Used the tap and die set to thread the cable end, and screwed the new one on. Worked like a charm.
Old 28th November 2005
Biker

sportydan has disabled reputation

Mine broke off this summer one night when I was getting ready to leave work.Went to the hardware store,found a chrome plated aluminum drawer knob.About same size as factory knob.Had to drill hole in knob a little bigger and drilled & tapped a small hole along shaft of knob for a set screw.Looks like stock only chrome.Not bad for $1.15.Sure beats $25 or $30 for a chrome knob from H-D or other vendors.
Old 28th November 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
maddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena
FM = Factory manual or service manual.
AKA.... Field Manual.
Know Thy Hog