The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Motor Stage
Zippers Performance
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light
Default Back Problems

33 & 35 years ago I had 2 "should have died" motorcycle accidents I walked away from (after trips to the emergency room). I've had back and neck pain for years and knew one vertebrae in my neck was broken in the first wreck. I've taken glucosamine/condroitin and ibuprophen over the years for the pain.

Well the last couple of years things have gone downhill to the point of losing griping strength and pain in my left hand and pain in my knees so bad I can't kneel on them.

I've had an MRI and x-rays in the last month, and the news is ... not only the fracture in my neck, but also one in my low back, and three crushed, destroyed discs in my neck and one in the low back. All are now compressing nerves.

My orthopedist is going to have me try physical therapy to try to strengthen muscles to make up for some of the lost support in my spine. I'm going to up my dosage of the glucosamine/condroitin. He doesn't recommend any currently available surgical options.

I guess the moral of the story is even if you walk away from all accidents as I have, your body will likely get even with you somehow, sometime.

My doctors know I still ride. I rode to my appointment yesterday. My son thinks I'm pretty tough for not complaining all these years. My wife knows I'm not a whiner, and I know I'm an addict, a motorcycle addict. But, there's worse things to be.
Well ... that explains a lot.
Old 12th March 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Mr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enough

One thing I have learned in the Army. Being mentally tough doesn't mean that your body will follow the brain's lead. best of luck man.
Old 12th March 2008
Custom Bike Builder

ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hick View Post
One thing I have learned in the Army. Being mentally tough doesn't mean that your body will follow the brain's lead. best of luck man.
Xactly right. In fact my wife mocked me the first time the shooting pain hit me when I kneeled down, then yelped in pain and rolled over on my side. Nothing my brain said could change the nerve pain in my knee.
Old 12th March 2008
Biker

jcox is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried any alternative therapies?? I'm a chiropractor in Oklahoma and have been using Spinal Decompression on my patients for low back pain, herniated discs, and degenerative joint disease. This gets the pressure and compression off of the nerves. But if the vertebrea still have active fractures (which they should have healed by now) you will not be able to do the Spinal decompression therapy. Hope this helps and good luck with your treatment. Keep riding............
Old 12th March 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 08XL1200N Scrambler
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Royal Enfield Bullet
Islander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura aboutIslander has a spectacular aura about

Ed,
My thoughts are with you this morning. Good luck, and it seems you have other blessings in your life.
Islander
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th March 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcox View Post
Have you tried any alternative therapies?? I'm a chiropractor in Oklahoma and have been using Spinal Decompression on my patients for low back pain, herniated discs, and degenerative joint disease. This gets the pressure and compression off of the nerves. But if the vertebrea still have active fractures (which they should have healed by now) you will not be able to do the Spinal decompression therapy. Hope this helps and good luck with your treatment. Keep riding............
Thanks for the advice. The fractures are very old and I'm sure pretty well fused. The x-rays even show some arthritis in my neck. That ought to add extra mass and strength ... I guess.

Unfortunately I've acquired a phobia of chiropractors. The first wreck broke the vertebrae in my neck. The rest of the pain in three vertebrae below it, the area of the disc compression, began during chiropractic treatment. I don't know what that particular chiropractor did, but I don't want anymore of it.
Old 12th March 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Ed,
My thoughts are with you this morning. Good luck, and it seems you have other blessings in your life.
Islander
Thank you. Yes I've been blessed with a great family and definately seen divine intervention, at least in surviving brushes with death.

I started this thread as a sort of warning for others, maybe the young'uns here, to be extra careful with their bodies because we don't get away with anything we do to them over the years. A price will be paid.
Old 12th March 2008
Biker

jcox is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya Ed, chiropractors are like Stealers, some are the best places to get help and some just don't know what they are doing. Sorry about your bad experience. I wish you a short and healthy recovery.
Old 12th March 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to all

When riding, a weightlifter belt can give extra support.

Good for long rides, even if you don't have a back problem.
2002 XL 1200 SE A/C & SE mufflers Mustang seat, Harley Hard Bags, Detachable Backrest w/Luggage Rack Kuryakyn Stop/Turn Signal Controller w/pulse brake, Pegs and Stirrups, Forward Controls, Memphis Fats Windshield
Old 12th March 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

With fractures/breaks of vertibrae Chiropractor can do nothing. There are forms of alternative medicine that can work. I shattered C3 years ago. I have learned to deal with it over the years. Kepp doing what you enjoy until you cannot do it anymore. Enjoy life.

BTW Are you going to Ramjet this sunday? I can give you some details on alternatives.
Know Thy Hog