The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
Progressive Suspension
Figure Machine
Energy One Clutches

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2008
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

You can tap into the wires right at the rear taillight. I don't remember the details but just spliced in with suitcase connector.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 26th March 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_aran View Post
I tried to pm Gene about the installation and where he got his strips for front and back, but his box is full!

Gene! Where are you?
http://forums.delphiforums.com/HarleyDavidson/messages check here !
Old 26th March 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
DE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really nice

Well, I got it installed, but I may have to redo it.. I tapped into the "violet" wire of the right side tailight and...it works, but it also blinks with the right side turnsignal. I have to tap into the red wire with yellow stripe that occurs before the stop/turnsignal processor. Yep, on nightsters there is a stop/turn signal processor box due to the tailight set up on them.....who said "nightsters" weren't different!
Old 30th March 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Mean Gene has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_aran View Post
I tried to pm Gene about the installation and where he got his strips for front and back, but his box is full!

Gene! Where are you?
Sorry, my box was full. Someone else just sent me a PM about it. I'll post soon with the details.

Been a little out of sorts lately. I crashed my bike three weeks ago... woke up in the ER with a concussion, amnesia, and 20 stitches in my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my crash1.jpg (14.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg my crash2.jpg (11.8 KB, 33 views)

Gallery:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4437
Old 30th March 2008
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Trumpy
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
Sorry, my box was full. Someone else just sent me a PM about it. I'll post soon with the details.

Been a little out of sorts lately. I crashed my bike three weeks ago... woke up in the ER with a concussion, amnesia, and 20 stitches in my head.
Ouch! Glad you are okay(ish). How's the bike....Heritage or Sporty?
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th March 2008
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
Ouch! Glad you are okay(ish). How's the bike....Heritage or Sporty?
Thanks for your concern. It was the Nightster. I'm ok now, the swelling is down, no more headaches, just a little scar above my eye. I have been experiencing deja vu latley...several times a day and even several times in minutes. I hope I don't become like the guy in "The Dead Zone." LOL

The bike wasn't damaged too badly, cuz it was protected by my body underneath it. LOL The cop said the bike slid 20 feet with me under it.
--Gene
Old 31st March 2008
Know It All

DE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really nice

Ouch!! Glad to hear that you are okay...
Old 31st March 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Yatez004 will become famous soon enoughYatez004 will become famous soon enoughYatez004 will become famous soon enoughYatez004 will become famous soon enoughYatez004 will become famous soon enoughYatez004 will become famous soon enough

If im not mistaken, when I did my tail light it was the Red wire with a yellow stripe through it, was JUST the brake light....I wouldnt take that to the bank but im 90% sure
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather

Farmington Fire/Rescue
Engine Co. 2 - X11
"If You Cant Stand The Heat...Become a Cop"
Old 31st March 2008
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatez004 View Post
If im not mistaken, when I did my tail light it was the Red wire with a yellow stripe through it, was JUST the brake light....I wouldnt take that to the bank but im 90% sure
Actually, you are 100% correct I made the change to the red wire with yellow stripe on Thursday and everything works great now!! I'll try and post a pict tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all of your help!
Old 31st March 2008
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatez004 View Post
I can't remember now what color the wire was. I thought orange and white, but not sure. I wanted a third brake only, to be off, independent of the run, turn lights, but come on with the two side lights only when I applied the brakes. That way, seems to be more noticeable from behind. So, I wired it into the orange/white? under the seat, but had a problem with the Kuryakyn load equalizer. The way it was wired, it melted it. I couldn't understand why, so got rid of the K load equalizer and reconnected the wiring to the H-D one...I think ahead of it. I'll have to take a look at it (under the seat) again as soon as I get my bike back. I'm doing a few repairs and repainting the tank right now.

Oh, one important thing, you need to remove the LED strip in the tube and carefully re-insert it at a 45 degree angle. Otherwise, it will be aiming down at the ground. There is an alternative that someone else here did and that was to use the LED strip they have that is more pliable, but the LEDs are exposed (like the type used as accent lighting, no tube). No need to rotate anything, but I don't think it's as elegant a solution. I have the LED strip inside the red tube. At first, I tried a clear tube thinking it would be less noticeable, but it was just the opposite. Because its dark under the fender, when the light (red tube) is off it actually looks more black, virtually undetectable underneath the fender.

So, long, story, short, what I did, was get their foot long tube and cut it to length--about 7", trimmed the LED strip to fit, rotated 45 degrees, and put the end caps on using a silicon glue, filling up any gap in the end cap so its water tight. The 3M adhesive on the back of the strip was all I needed to stick it to the fender, but I used it with the 3M adhesive activator which seems to make it hold much better. So get the activator, it's cheap.

--Gene
Know Thy Hog