The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Figure Machine
883 Sportster
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Mean Gene has disabled reputation
Default Mine from the rear

Here's what mine looks like with just running lights on the side and third brake light off. And with all three brake lights on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED brakelight_off.jpg (15.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg LED brakelight_on.jpg (16.5 KB, 60 views)

Gallery:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4437
Old 31st March 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
DE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really nice
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
I can't remember now what color the wire was. I thought orange and white, but not sure. I wanted a third brake only, to be off, independent of the run, turn lights, but come on with the two side lights only when I applied the brakes. That way, seems to be more noticeable from behind. So, I wired it into the orange/white? under the seat, but had a problem with the Kuryakyn load equalizer. The way it was wired, it melted it. I couldn't understand why, so got rid of the K load equalizer and reconnected the wiring to the H-D one...I think ahead of it. I'll have to take a look at it (under the seat) again as soon as I get my bike back. I'm doing a few repairs and repainting the tank right now.

Oh, one important thing, you need to remove the LED strip in the tube and carefully re-insert it at a 45 degree angle. Otherwise, it will be aiming down at the ground. There is an alternative that someone else here did and that was to use the LED strip they have that is more pliable, but the LEDs are exposed (like the type used as accent lighting, no tube). No need to rotate anything, but I don't think it's as elegant a solution. I have the LED strip inside the red tube. At first, I tried a clear tube thinking it would be less noticeable, but it was just the opposite. Because its dark under the fender, when the light (red tube) is off it actually looks more black, virtually undetectable underneath the fender.

So, long, story, short, what I did, was get their foot long tube and cut it to length--about 7", trimmed the LED strip to fit, rotated 45 degrees, and put the end caps on using a silicon glue, filling up any gap in the end cap so its water tight. The 3M adhesive on the back of the strip was all I needed to stick it to the fender, but I used it with the 3M adhesive activator which seems to make it hold much better. So get the activator, it's cheap.

--Gene
Man, you're good....I believe that the orange wire with the white stripe is your running light, therefore on all the time. I ended up using the red wire with the yellow stripe. And I made all of the mistakes that you listed above. Initially I ordered it in the clear tube, then re-ordered it in the red tube. Then I did mount it with the bulbs facing downwards.....no good. So, yesterday I took it all back off and rotated the lightstrip within the housing to a 45 degree angle (just like you) and put it back on with some 3M double sticktape..and some squeeze clamps overnight to make sure that it "really" stuck!!

If only you hadn't gone and cracked your head open, it would have been done correct the first time Thanks so much, and I glad that you are feeling a little better. I'll try and post some pict tonight of my "Mene Gene Mod"
Old 1st April 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
DE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really niceDE-Nightster is just really nice
Default Picts

I'm not sure if I have enough posts to be able to show pics, but let's give it a try!

Thanks Guys
Old 1st April 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
twodownzero has disabled reputation

Looks great!
Old 1st April 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Mean Gene has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE-Nightster View Post
I'm not sure if I have enough posts to be able to show pics, but let's give it a try!
Done Good!

Gene
Know Thy Hog